Durch St Galler Oberland

Publiziert von olethros , 16. September 2023 um 21:23.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » St.Gallen
Tour Datum:16 September 2023
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GL   Spitzmeilengruppe   CH-SG 
Zeitbedarf: 5:00
Aufstieg: 1600 m
Abstieg: 1000 m

SAC Toggenburg was arranging a similar 2-day tour on the 23rd, but I could not join, so I though to do this in one day, since the weather was good. I decided to cross the whole mountain plain of Flumseberg. To me it seemed doable: about 1500m of climb and 20km of distance, so somewhat less than marathon in total effort. I took only the necessary stuff: water, food, a fleece, light raincover, and a paper map.

I got the first train and I was at Weissenberge at 8:00. The first goal was Gulderstock, also shared by three women (two of whom were going to the SAC hut, and the other coming back). However, we split up quickly, because they were taking the official path, which to me seemed quite a bit longer. I took the steep shortcuts, which felt fine when I was still fresh. 

Around 1.5 hours later, I was at the ridge of Sunnenhoernli. This is the official route, though there is an interesting variant through another ridge. The way up to Gulderstock was initially through steep, stepped grass, which was not hard in dry conditions. Then you encounter a bit of sleet, and some careful steps are required, but it remains a comfortable T4. The Gulderturm, on the other hand, seems a bit harder and I didn't try it.

The descent from Gulderstock does not follow the official map: it seems there has been some rockfalls. The current route diverts to the left (NW) of the ridge for a bit, before joining again. This section was much slower than I had expected. Then the ridge becomes a bit tricky, with three main difficulties: a slightly slippery slate descent (partially defused with a rope), a narrow crossing, and finally a grade I climb (not very exposed) of 2m on slate steps. I would rate this part a T4+.

The remaining was an easy jog to Wissmilen on nice paths, then signing the summit book and progressing slowly to Wissmilennpass. Then I could jog again towards Maschgenkamm. At the end I was exhausted, however, and had to walk part of the way, even on the easiest paths.

In any case, I am glad I did this as a day tour. The conditions were perfect: a bit windy and chilly initially, which helped for the ascent, and then moderate temperatures most of the time. There was a lot of rain and clouds on a mountain range on the east, but they were broken by those peaks. 

I don't think I will cross Flumseberg again, but I might visit once more to try a couple of more targets.

Tourengänger: olethros

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»