Gipshorn (2813 m) - hike from Monstein

Publiziert von Roald , 1. Oktober 2018 um 19:32.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Graubünden » Davos
Tour Datum:30 September 2018
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4 - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GR 
Zeitbedarf: 7:15
Aufstieg: 1400 m
Abstieg: 1400 m
Strecke:See waypoints and GPS track (17 km)
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:By car to Davos Monstein. Parking just before the village (free of charge).

Gipshorn is a peak on the mountain range between Büelenhorn and Chrachenhorn, and lies south of Davos Monstein.

I started my hike at 9 AM, first walking up through the Monstein village, and then following the hiking trail in direction Mäschenboden. From Monstein all the way up to Mäschenboden this means that you follow a forest road. Please be aware that this forest road may currently be closed Mon-Fri due to forest work.

At Mäschenboden I met with three locals, and it turned out that they were also planning a hike to Gipshorn. I let them lead the way, which made it easier for me to see where to go. There is no official trail, but as soon as it gets steeper there is a very distinct path. It is even marked with small cairns in some places. Overall the difficulty does not exceed T3.

Shortly before reaching Mäschenfurgga, I headed directly up towards Gipshorn through a rocky area which was still in the shade (T3). (The locals went up to Mäschenfurgga and across P.2695). In the scree north of P.2695, there is a distinct path, and it is shorter than going across P.2695. The shortcut was good because I spotted a male chamois on the way.  Interestingly, in that area some of the bigger stones had a thin layer of ice. The only explanation I have is that moisture from the air had condensed on the rocks in the evening, and frozen later in the night.

The final ascent to the Gipshorn NE ridge follows a ramp as noted by others (T4). Then you continue on the ridge towards the summit (mostly T3). Shortly before the summit, it is necessary to descend a little bit (briefly T4 again), and then proceed without much difficulty to the summit (T3).

Surprisingly, there were six visitors on Gipshorn on this day. The locals (party of three), a party of two, and myself. It must have been nearly a record number of hikers on Gipshorn in one day. Since last year, there is a new summit book on Gipshorn. The previous summit book had apparently lasted 20 years.

On the way back, I hiked via Mäschenfurgga, Ducanfurgga, Fanezfurgga, and Oberalp back to Monstein. At Ducanfurgga I switched from hiking boots to sneakers, which I found much more comfortable for the descent on the marked trail.

Please see the attached GPS track for more details on the route. The total time given for this hike includes about half an hour lunch break.

Equipment:
- Hiking sticks

Tourengänger: Roald

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T4
5 Aug 19
Gipshorn 2813 m · StefanP
T4+