Wyssegga direct from Jungu

Publiziert von RickT , 12. August 2022 um 16:57.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Wallis » Oberwallis
Tour Datum: 9 August 2022
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4- - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-VS 
Zeitbedarf: 6:15
Aufstieg: 1200 m
Abstieg: 1200 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:St Niklaus SBB

I am a great fan of obscure 3000nders, and given its proximity to so many much more worthy goals the Wyssegga is unsurprisingly not a hugely popular peak.  Hence an ideal goal for me.

Based on reports from others, e.g. Zaza in 2009 I initially intended to make it part of a ridge walk with a few other peaks included. However, plans change and I opted for a direct up and down approach using the fairly rounded South East ridge. 
It was hot, so there was no way I was slogging up from the valley, and the mini-cable car from St Niklaus to Jungu is a fun excursion in itself.
From there its a leisurely hike up the Jungtal past the cows at 2388m, where they were repairing the roof of the cowshed with locally sourced flat slabs of stone.  It looks like there was a fairly recent rock fall from the Steitalgrat above the path section from point 2388 to point 2546.  (anyone know about this... could well be very old news indeed, and the two observations are not related).

The route I took continued from the Alpwirschaft along to point 2706 (Rinderalpji) where I left the path and ascended fairly directly up to the summit of the Wyssegga  following the South East ridge.  I generally tried to stick to grass rather than crossing boulder fields which works well until reasonably high on the ridge past point 2932, where the ridge becomes nothing but whitish boulders. They are pretty stable and the blocky ridge above is also completely harmless. From the summit I was impressed by the view of the Barrhorn with the Bishorn and Weisshorn rising above it. 

I found the best path down the lower part of the ridge tricky to find on descent, and ended up in slightly more rocky terrain coming out closer to point 2592 when I rejoined the path.  The ascent route was easier.

Note the heights I have used are based on the Switzerland Mobility maps I usually use.  they differ from the mini-map by a couple of meters, but Its clear that they are the same point.

Tourengänger: RickT

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T3+
WT5
27 Jan 10
Wyssegga (3168 m) · Zaza
T5+ II
T2
19 Apr 15
Wasuhorn (mt 3343) · ciolly
T5 WS II
9 Jul 12
Festihorn (Jungtal) · Zaza
T3 WS II
10 Sep 23
Rund ums Jungtal · lorenzo
T4
11 Sep 14
Wasulicke - Topalihütte · KraxelDani

Kommentare (1)

Kommentar hinzufügen

Umumba hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 24. März 2023 um 23:51
Very nice tour! Just in July 2022 I had planned to try the same (even though I didn't know if I had found the right route on the ridge) when having a vacation in Grächen. The weather was perfect, but some health issues of me and my family kept me from doing it. Nice to see a report of the tour without it being part of a bigger ridge tour, on this route you seem to be the first on hikr. With this in mind I will hopefully try it this year!

Kommentar hinzufügen»