Piz Surgonda (3196 m) and a few more peaks

Publiziert von Roald , 18. Juli 2017 um 11:02.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Graubünden » Oberhalbstein
Tour Datum:17 Juli 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GR 
Zeitbedarf: 10:00
Aufstieg: 1600 m
Abstieg: 1600 m
Strecke:See waypoints and GPS track (16 km)
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:By car to La Veduta on the Julier pass road. Designated parking area exactly where the trail to Fuorcla d'Agnel starts.

This hike was mainly inspired by hike reports from ivo66 describing various hikes in the area. It ended up being a really nice hike with picture perfect weather in the morning. But it was also quite strenuous with the craggy and rocky grounds, and all the loose scree.

Start of the hike at 7:00 at the Julier pass road (La Veduta). I followed the white-red-white marked trail in direction Fuorcla d'Agnel. But before reaching that pass, I headed up the SW flank to the western summit of Piz Surgonda. It was quite a struggle with all the loose scree, but eventually I made it up the initial and steepest section. In the final ascent to the summit, there is one place which requires climbing (II), but it can be bypassed in the south flank. Overall I would rate the ascent T4+.

From the summit I explored the possibilities to continue on the ridge to the main summit of Piz Surgonda. However, it seemed too tricky to start such an endeavor on my own (T5, II). Therefore I descended from the western summit (T4), traversed to the east (T3), and ascended from just below the main summit through rocks and scree which was again hard work (T4).

At the main summit of Piz Surgonda, the view was fantastic! In particular, it was amazing to see how colorful the mountains Tschima da Flix and Piz Trunter Ovas appeared. It was pleasant temperatures, and no wind at all while I was at the summit. After taking a few pictures, I headed down (T3) to the area just south of Fuorcla Margun, where I enjoyed my lunch.

Next, I headed for Fuorcla Chamuotsch. The traverse to get there was strenuous across the rocky grounds and scree. The ascent to Corn Suvretta on the SE ridge requires a little bit of climbing at the beginning (I). Overall I would rate the ascent T4. The view from Corn Suvretta was also great, even if some clouds had meanwhile appeared. For the descent from the summit, I chose to surf down the scree in the SW flank (T3+). It worked really well in the upper part, but further down the scree was either hard packed or there were mainly bigger stones so that it no longer worked.

On my way back, I passed Crap Alv, where I saw a red deer which ran away as fast as it could, and disappeared across Fuorcla Alva. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of it. After passing Fuorcla Alva, I headed for Muot Cotschen, where I spotted lots of nice flowers. Finally, I descended towards the Julier pass on grassy hillsides (partially on unmarked trails) (T3/T2).

Remark: It really seems like this area is deserted in the summer. From a distance, I spotted one hiker at the summit of Piz d'Agnel, and of course there were a few people at the summit of Piz Julier. But I did not actually meet any other hikers on this tour, except at the parking lot when I returned!

Equipment:
- Hiking sticks

Please see attached GPS track for more details.

Tourengänger: Roald

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

WT4
17 Mär 19
Schneeschuhtour Piz Surgonda 3195 m · cardamine
T4
30 Dez 15
Piz Surgonda, 3196m · RainiJacky
T3
6 Sep 13
Piz Surgonda 3196mt - un tremila per ... tre · giorgio59m (Girovagando)
T4
4 Jul 17
Piz Surgonda (3195m) · Marcel und Desiree
T4-
11 Aug 11
Piz Surgonda 3196m · swe68
WS-
26 Mär 17
Piz Surgonda 3196m · marc73
T5
13 Aug 03
Piz Surgonda · Delta