Mattwaldhorn and Sirwoltehorn

Publiziert von Arbutus , 1. September 2009 um 16:15.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Wallis » Mittelwallis
Tour Datum:29 August 2009
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-VS 
Strecke:Gspon - Faeriga - Mattwaldhorn - Simelipass - Ober Fulmoos - Sirwoltehorn - Bistinepass - Simplonpass
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Luftseilbahn from Stalden VS (MGB).
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:Postbus to Brig or Domodossola (I).

I took Trail 6 (Alpenpaesse-Weg) out of Gspon and followed it to Faeriga. From there, you can just go straight up the mountainside and aim for the Simelihorn ridge, which is what I did (you cross a nice Bisse in the process). Then I followed the rugged ridge to Mattwaldhorn (there is still some faint white-and-red paint on the rocks, but you couldn't possibly go wrong). After enjoying a spectacular view from the summit, I dropped to Simelipass. From there, I decided to go west into the Bockwang bowl. I would definitely discourage anyone from choosing this nasty route: an extremely steep descent on loose scree and a serious rockfall danger make this route objectively unsafe. I slowly made my way down to the area called Ober Fulmoos and continued cross-country south of the maintained trail. After a tricky creek crossing, I headed straight up to Sirwoltehorn and climbed to the rocky turret at the summit. I dropped down to a pretty good unmarked trail that got me back on Trail 6, which I followed all the way to Simplonpass.

On the whole, a fantastic hike, but going over Simelipass was not a good idea. In hindsight, the thing to do was to stay on marked trails all the way down to the Ober Fulmoos area and then branch off to climb up Sirwoltehorn, which is a fantastic vantage point and offers a commanding view of Simplonpass. Without the Simelipass route, the hike would be a T3+.

Tourengänger: Arbutus

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»