Gipfelbuch Mittler Leistchamm

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 4. Juni 2009 um 17:32.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » St.Gallen
Tour Datum: 3 Juni 2009
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T6 - schwieriges Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: II (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-SG   Churfirsten   Speer-Mattstock 
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:cff logo Arvenbüel, Arven
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:cff logo Arvenbüel, Arven

As Delta said in his comment to my last visit of the Mittler Leistchamm, its peak would deserve a "Gipfelbuch". Now it has one and the Steinmannli up there is pimped up as well. Here's the story.

As so often before, I started my hike in cff logo Arvenbüel, Arven, after getting there with the school bus (7:27 AM from Vorderdorf, it's public but not listed in the online schedule of the SBB, always runs on weekdays, but not during school holidays). A lot of humidity was in the air and everything was kind of wet and slippery…, but the sun was still shining.

I walked along the marked path towards (Hinter) Leistchamm via Röhr - Looch - First all the way to P.1911. There, instead of going all the way up to the summit of (Hinter) Leistchamm, I left the path and followed the old path (which is not maintained any more) on the eastern side of Leistchamm down towards Schafberg valley. The white/red/white markings are mostly still visible and in addition path traces are also clearly visible. The path leads you to the bottom of the Mittler Leistchamm. Alternatively one gets there by following the marked Toggenburger Höhenweg past Tritt and then walk up in the valley of Schafberg to the same point.

As one can see on this picture, the crux of getting up to the summit of Mittler Leistchamm is the 10-20m drop which spans the whole northern side of it. This drop can be conquered in many places. The easiest, according to the SAC guide - T5 according to Delta (I'd say not the easiest T5 I've seen) - is the one marked in blue on the picture. Green on the picture is the one I did during my last visit. Climbing the west ridge (yellow on the picture) was described by 3614adrian in his report, supposedly it's climbing in the second and third degree. For my visit on this day I chose the route up a mossy chute marked with red dots on the pictures. It starts east of the "SAC access" and the way there is actually quite exposed already. However, I think this is the choice of a lot of chamois and dear as well, since I saw quite a few traces.

One word of caution: The mossy chutes in combination with the not so solid rock (blue and red routes) might be slightly easier, however, under wet conditions like on this day (and there are many such days there) probably the worse choice…  Climbing where there is mostly rock and less moss, might technically be a little harder, but in my view also safer. So the bad choice I made felt more like a T6 than a T5.

For the alpine hiker there are also a few access routes from the eastern side of Leistchamm. The easiest way from east (upper T5 as well), is up a chute close to the northern side (see this picture, or, for other eastern options check out Alpin_Rise's descriptions in his report.
Update July 2010: For an overview of the different routes from east see here.

Once I was on the summit it got quite foggy and the view down to the Walensee wasn't always clear. I installed the "Gamelle mit Gipfelbuch" and pimped up the existing Steinmannli to give it an appropriate home. During this time two snow chicken (or ptarmigan) landed on the summit and nicely posed themselves for some pictures (thanks!). I also inspected the west ridge a little bit, found a geo-cache on the southern side and all kind of other interesting things…

Once I was done fiddling around, I went back down the way I came up and then walked over to Vorder Leistchamm, down to the Gocht and via west flank up to another one of my favorites in the area: Nägeliberg. The weather wasn't very inviting any more so I went down the north flank to the Toggenburger Höhenweg and from there back to Arvenbüel via Flügenspitz.

cff logo Arvenbüel, Arven - Röhr - Looch - First - P.1911 - Schafberg - Mittler Leistchamm - Vorder Leistchamm - Gocht - Nägeliberg - P. 1969 - P. 1956 - P. 1830 - Tritt - First - Flügenspitz - Looch - Röhr - cff logo Arvenbüel, Arven

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (4)

Kommentar hinzufügen

3614adrian hat gesagt: Thanks...
Gesendet am 4. Juni 2009 um 20:26
...for this nice report and the beautiful pictures!

Greetings Adrian

filips hat gesagt: Eine Frage
Gesendet am 6. Juni 2009 um 09:27
Geschätzter Hikr,
erstmals danke für den Bericht und wie immer: tolle Fotos. Deine Bilder sind durchwegs vom besten!
Darum auch meine Frage: Wie ich sehe, machst Du sie mit einer DSLR. Ich trag meist auch eine mit, doch bis jetzt hab ich nie richtig ein System gehabt, wie ich sie tragen könnte. Meistens hab ich sie einfach in der Hand, bis ca. T4 geht das ja ganz gut, dann wandert sie aber in den Rucksack und es ist halt jedes Mal ein wenig eine Tortur, die da rauszugrübeln. Wie machst Du denn das?
Und wenn wir schon dabei sind: Deine Bilder decken eine ziemliche Spannbreite bezüglich Winkel ab - was für ein Objektiv benutzt Du?
Ich hoffe, Du erlaubst mir diese Frage und ein kurzer Blick in Deine Zauberküche :-)
Danke und schönes Wochenende, Philipp

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:Eine Frage
Gesendet am 6. Juni 2009 um 17:03
Hallo blabbr,

Herzlichen Dank für das Kompliment!

Ja Du hast recht ich nehme auf all meine Touren meine DSLR Kamera (Canon 30D) mit. Sie ist zwar so langsam in die Jahre gekommen, verichtet aber noch immer tadellose Arbeit. Bis T5 trage ich die Kamera in einer Tasche vorne am Bauch, so ist sie in sekundenschnelle griffbereit. Meist so ab T5 stecke ich sie dann aber ebenfalls weg und zwar in eine fixe Aussentasche meines Rucksacks. Auf diesem Bild, siehst Du diese Aussentasche (es stecken aber die Schneeschuhe drin und nicht meine Kamera :-). Damit ist der Fotoapparat auch in schwierigen Gelände relativ schnell griffbereit und die Tortour diese hervorzunehmen hält sich in Grenzen.

Ich nehme jeweils meine 18-55 mm und 70-300 mm Objektive auf meine Touren mit. Diese zusammen decken eine sehr grossen Brennweitenbereich ab. Wobei noch anzufügen ist, dass ich sehr oft für Panoramas (insbesondere die 360) mehrere Fotos aufnehme und sie dann mittels The Panorama Factory zusammenfüge.

Insgesamt schleppe ich so zwar etwa 2.5 kg Fotoausrüstung mit, aber die Qualität der Fotos, welche mit einer DSLR und guten Objektiven gemacht werden können, ist meines Erachtens im Vergleich zu den Compact-Cameras deutlich besser.

Gruss, 360

filips hat gesagt: RE:Eine Frage
Gesendet am 8. Juni 2009 um 00:03
Hallo,

vielen Dank für Deine Ausführungen - das ist sehr nett. Ich glaub, ich werd mal etwas ähnliches versuchen, irgendeine Brusttasche oder in der Art. Ich mag vor allem den Weitwinkel, den ich von meinem Objektiv kriege... aber vor allem die neuen Kompaktkameras scheinen schon recht reizvoll - leicht, vielseitig und halt ... kompakt.

Alles Gute auf Deine weiteren Touren - ich freu mich auf Deine nächsten Fotos!
Gruss, Philipp

Kommentar hinzufügen»