COVID-19: Current situation

Hirzer (2781 m) & Hönigspitz (2695 m)

Published by Roald , 13 October 2018, 22h36.

Region: World » Italy » Trentino-South Tirol
Date of the hike:12 October 2018
Hiking grading: T4- - High-level Alpine hike
Waypoints:
Geo-Tags: I   Sarntaler Alpen 
Time: 5:00
Height gain: 900 m 2952 ft.
Height loss: 900 m 2952 ft.
Route:See waypoints and GPS track (7.5 km)
Access to start point:With the Hirzer aerial cable cars from Saltaus (490 m.a.s.l) up to Klammeben (1980 m.a.s.l). Price for a return ticket when having the Meran GuestCard: 16 Euro.
Access to end point:With the Hirzer aerial cable cars from Klammeben back down to Saltaus.

Hirzer and Hönigspitz are two mountain peaks northeast of Meran. Marked trails go to both peaks, but the trail on the west ridge of Hönigspitz was not indicated on any signposts (or I did not see it). The hike to Hirzer has already been described a number of times here on hikr.org, but at least this is the first report in English, and with a GPS track.

I followed the marked trail (E5) from Klammeben past Hirzerhütte to the summit of Hirzer. The steepest part of the ascent to the ridge is secured with chains (T3+). Then the trail continues in the southeast flank of Hirzer (T3). The view from the summit was magnificent, despite some patches of fog. After a short break, I continued to Hönigspitz, where I enjoyed my lunch. Next, I descended along the west ridge of Hönigspitz following the marked and easily visible trail (T4-).

Please see the attached GPS track for more details on the route. The total time given for this hike includes about half an hour lunch break.

Equipment: Hiking sticks

Hike partners: Roald

Minimap
0Km
Click to draw, click on the last point to end drawing

Gallery

Open in a new window · Open in this window

T4
15 Sep 14
Hirzer und Hönigspitz im Dunst · Dimmugljufur
T4 I
T4 F I