5 peaks hike around Crap Mats

Publiziert von Roald , 5. Juli 2015 um 01:39.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Graubünden » Surselva
Tour Datum: 3 Juli 2015
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4 - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Mountainbike Schwierigkeit: L - Leicht fahrbar
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GR 
Zeitbedarf: 11:00
Aufstieg: 2400 m
Abstieg: 1050 m
Strecke:Trin - Tegia Culm - Crap Mats - Morchopf - Tschep - Tschep Sura - Tschep Sut - Tegia Culm (21 km)
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:By car to Trin - parking close to the bus stop Quadris (Werkhof). Parking free of charge.
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:With the mountain bike from Tegia Culm back down to Trin (1 hour) Approx. 13-14 km distance with an elevation loss of 1350 m.

Given the hot summer weather I wanted to go for a hike at higher elevations. In the area around Crap Mats there was relatively little snow left, even with an elevation of 2500 - 3000 m.

The hike included visits to Crap Mats (2947 m), Morchopf (2943 m), Tschep (2943 m), Tschep Sura (2838 m), and Tschep Sut (2666 m). In addition I also payed a visit to part of the Tschepgrat ridge.

Start of the hike in the morning at 06:15 in Trin (elevation 900 m). I walked my mountain bike all the way up to the alp at Tegia Culm (2249 m), in order to have a fast and easy descent back to Trin. It is advisable to have a good map of the area between Trin and Tegia Culm, because there are so many different roads leading up through the forest. Up to an elevation of 1500 m the (main) road is paved.

At Tegia Culm I left my mountain bike behind, and continued just below and past the rock formation called "Orgel" and up to P.2590. From there up to the summit of Crap Mats following path traces and small cairns in the steeper section above 2700 m. On Crap Mats it was time for lunch, and after that I continued on the easy ridge to Morchopf, and then towards Tschep. Next followed an unplanned "expedition" from Tschep on the Tschepgrat ridge to P.3015, and then to another unnamed viewpoint at about 3025 m. From the Tschepgrat ridge the view to Ringelspitz and other nearby peaks was amazing!

After my short visit to the Tschepgrat ridge, I headed back to Tschep, and down towards Tschep Sura, and further past Tschep Sut down to Tegia Culm. There my mountain bike was waiting for me, and as planned I could get a "free" ride back down to Trin.
Please see attached GPS track for more precise route information (does not include the bike ride down).

Difficulties:
Trin - Tegia Culm: T1 - T2
The rest of the hike: T3 - T4
There are no marked trails above Tegia Culm, but in many places paths or path traces were visible.
On the ascent to Crap Mats there is a small climbing section (I) at elevation 2800 m. Follow the cairns (Steinmännli) to avoid more difficult terrain. Path traces were visible.
The initial descent from Morchopf (towards Tschep) is easier than it seems from far away. Path traces were visible there as well.
Between Morchopf and Tschep I needed to cross two snow fields, and the hiking sticks were absolutely necessary. The ascent to Tschep seemingly also meant crossing a third and steeper snowfield, but I could instead ascend to the right on the ridge where faint path traces were visible.
During the descent from Tschep Sura, I went a bit on the right side of the ridge to avoid the steepest area. I could not find any path traces.
The descent from Tschep Sut looks more difficult from below than it really is. The key is to find the right place to descend on the grassy hillside (see attached GPS track).

Times:
Trin - Tegia Culm: 4 h (pushing the bike along, and including a few breaks)
Tegia Culm - Crap Mats: 2 h
Crap Mats - Morchopf: 15 min
Morchopf - Tschep: 45 min
Tschep - Tschep Sura: 15 min
Tschep Sura - Tschep Sut - Tegia Culm: 1 h 35 min (including a few breaks)

Tourengänger: Roald
Communities: Bike & Hike

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»