Vorder Goggeien

Publiziert von olethros , 11. September 2022 um 21:26.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » St.Gallen
Tour Datum:11 September 2022
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4 - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-SG   Speer-Mattstock 
Zeitbedarf: 3:00
Aufstieg: 700 m
Abstieg: 700 m

After my first failed attempt at Vorder Goggeien, I thought I'd try again. This time I had carefully read the path descriptions, and I already Zustoll (T4-) and Piz Terri (T4+) under my belt. The conditions were, if anything, worse than last time, but I felt at ease overal.

The start is at Stein (SG). After a brief asphalt road, you enter the forest and follow a steep T1 path next to the waterfalls. You exit to a wider forest road, which then wallows through muddy cow pastures. After reaching a small goods lift, the road bifurcates. Instead of following the marked T1 path to the left, you climb WNW to the forest again (T2). This forest path is a bit darker, with roots and rocks, but soon you reach another pasture next to an alp, and it's not much longer until you get to the saddle between Schaer and Mitler Goggeien. 

The way north is on a narrow path, which is partly through a rocky traverse. This is equipped with a wire cable, which is not necessary for progress, but nice to have nevertheless when the conditions are wet. Shortly after this, you arrive at the saddle between Vorder and Mittel Goggeien.

This time I took my time to approach Vorder Goggeien, and I noticed there was an arrow pointing to the correct way. I nevertheless went around the south ridge and followed the faint path on the east side. It was obvious that there was a way to walk up from there, but I didn't follow it. I turned back to the main path. This led up a non-exposed chimney to the top. The only difficult bit is getting over a boulder, which requires stepping half a meter up on top of it. There are good holds on the right side, as well as on the boulder, so it's not a big deal, but I never did such a step before without any safety, so getting over it was a breakthrough for me.

Afterwards I looked around the peak and signed the (recently full) Gipfelbuch. 

Looking down, I could verify that it was possible to come up on the east side. There are muddy steps, but it felt less safe and more exposed than the chimney route.
Going back down over the boulder was actually easier than up (surprisingly, as I usually feel more nervous going down). 

Afterwards, I went to check out Mittler Goggeien, though I was not planning to climb it. The path to the key point was easy, if muddy. The key point itself was seured with a very wet rope (secured on both ends) and a steel cable (secured only at the top). I climbed a little bit just for fun, and then went back down. My feet found very little purchase on the wet rock, so I had to rely almost completely on the rope.

Overall, my inov-8 x-talon were fine on everything but the wet rock---though I don't expect mountain boots to be any better on wet rock, to be honest.

Tourengänger: olethros

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T6 III
20 Jun 21
Goggeien · ᴅinu
T4+ II
11 Jul 16
Goggeien kurz · Kaj