Rambles through a Zurich wilderness III - Returning to Dorfbach, Üssikon

Publiziert von iuturna , 11. März 2017 um 21:53.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Zürich
Tour Datum: 5 März 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3 - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Zeitbedarf: 1:30
Aufstieg: 180 m
Abstieg: 180 m
Strecke:3.5 km
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Maur Bus from Stettbach or from Klusplatz 1,6 km walking distance to Üssikon

Directions
If you only want to see the two waterfalls, follow Bachlenstrasse starting from Üssikon. For the lower fall and the historical embarkment, follow the trail starting here:
www.hikr.org/gallery/photo2310729.html?post_id=118190#1
To get to the upper waterfall, return to Bachlenstrasse and follow it uphill. After passing the housing Bachlen, turn left into Christhölzliweg. Follow this path till you get to the cross-way with the guidepost.

For the tour report, read the legends below the pictures.

Getting prepared

After heavy rain on Saturday 4th March, there was hope for some sunny hours on Sunday. I decided to return to Dorfbach Üssikon for a second excursion to Dorfbach ravine. (On some maps this creek is called Islenbach.)

I think that industrial history is an interesting subject. There are many sites in my region, most of them well-kept. What I think is fascinating about the ancient construction for hydro-energy of Üsskon, is that it seams to be forgotten. During the previous week I made some reserches to find out more about it.
The first mill in Üssikon was built in 1609 by Hans Zolliker. In 1865 the millwheel was replaced by a turbine. According to the archeological map of GIS-Browser Zurich the year of construction is 1815. Up to today I couln't find much more information. There might be documents in the museum of Maur, but it was closed.

But I found a mistake in the GIS-map: The waterfall is marked to far upriver. I've sent a message to Baudirektion who publishes these maps.

First ambition of today's excursion was to see the upper part of the construction, where the water from the natural creek is led into the pond.

Second: There is an other waterfall upriver mapped on "Geologisch-Geomorphologisches Inventar". Bright sunshine only twelve hours after strong rain would be ideal conditions for taking photographs of a waterfall.

Third: I wanted to have a look at Heubergbach and the upper part of Dorfbach (Islenbach). Neider of them is mapped, so they could possibly contain more waterfalls.

And forth: Looking at the picture of gbal
www.hikr.org/gallery/photo2312746.html?post_id=118299#1
a new project was born:
* Collect rotten bridges *
On this excursion I found three of them!

The difficulty (or the sting - literally!) of this tour have definitly been the many blackberry tendrils growing up into the air! I think it's against the law of nature, they are supposed to stay near the ground!
I've spend about three hours stumbling through this ravine but I came out safe and healthy.

Find out more about the mill and the construction: Select on the left "Archäologische Zonen und Denkmalschutz-Objekte", click on the blue circles. A description will open on the right.

[/maps.zh.ch?topic=WaldAppZH&scale=1250&x=2694012.98&...]

Tourengänger: iuturna

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (2)

Kommentar hinzufügen

gbal hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 12. März 2017 um 21:53
Hi Nina,
thank you a lot for quoting gbal.
I hope you could collect a lot of rotten bridges in your neighbourhood.
Compliments for your pictures.
Giulio

iuturna hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 12. März 2017 um 22:20
Ciao Giulio
Thank you, I will!
Hope you'll get a beautiful mountain bike season!
Nina

Kommentar hinzufügen»