Rambles through a Zurich wilderness I - Schuelhusbach, Üssikon

Publiziert von iuturna , 28. Februar 2017 um 00:30.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Zürich
Tour Datum:22 Februar 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Mountainbike Schwierigkeit: L - Leicht fahrbar
Wegpunkte:

My project is to find waterfalls in the county of Zurich which are not mapped. Though one might think that the Swiss Federal Office of Topography https://map.geo.admin.ch is allmighty and unfaillible, there are plenty of waterfalls missing.

To discover them I first have a look on the GIS browser https://maps.zh.ch/
opening the layer "Geologisch-Geomorphologisches Inventar". On that layer some of the the ravines (definition: narrow valley with steep sides, "Tobel") and their waterfalls are recorded. Waterfalls appear as little triangles. Only few of them show on the Swiss Topography maps, many waterfalls don't appear on any map.

Near to my home there are several ravines which can be reached by bycicle. Two of them are located in Üssikon/Maur: Dorfbach-Tobel and Schuelhusbach-Tobel. As for Dorfbach ("Village creek") I found two triangles, meaning: two waterfalls. The Schuelhusbach ("School creek") is very close and running quasi parallel to the Dorfbach but it isn't mapped. As it seamed to me that the topographic conditions were similar I wondered if I could find waterfalls in this ravine, as well.

On February 22nd I took my bike and rode to Üssikon. It was a windy day and the sky started to cover as I got there. I locked my bike to a bench near to the street Rellikonstrasse and marched up the steep Gigernweg which follows the creek. After a short while I heard rushing water. Through the woods I could see a small waterfall running over a rock. I found a path going down the slope wich isn't too steep at this point. This ravine is a ruggedly picturesque place. Lots of mossy green trunks and stones reminded me to a place out of mythology.
The creek flows in a bed of yellow limestone. As this waterfall was only a small one I didn't make the effort to climb down to the basin. I took my pictures and climbed back up the slope to Gigernweg. The wind got stronger and I didn't want to waist time. Not much further I saw the second waterfall, not higher than the first one but two-lane. On the other side of the ravine a deat branch crashed down by the wind and I decided not to go down to the creek again but to return another time. I guess there must be more waterfalls further up this ravine.

Directions Üssikon is a village section of Maur at the lake Greifensee.
Follow Rellikonstrasse untill you see a former school building on the lakeside (see picture). On the hillside of the street follow Gigernweg uphill.
You will find a path leading down to the ravines bottom following the creek.

TO BE CONTINUED

Tourengänger: iuturna
Communities: English

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»