Rambles through a Zurich wilderness II - archeological discovery at Dorfbach, Üssikon

Publiziert von iuturna , 28. Februar 2017 um 20:54.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Zürich
Tour Datum:28 Februar 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3 - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Aufstieg: 38 m
Abstieg: 27 m
Strecke:450 m from Üssikon
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Busstop "Kirche Maur", bus 701 from Zurich Klusplatz or bus 743 from Zurich Stettbach, walking distance to Üssikon: 1.6 km, distance from Üssikon to the waterfall: 450 m

As I want to do some sports I worked out a project: I collect waterfalls which are not mapped. On my free days, between shopping, cooking and daily work I take my bike, ride to a nearby ravine (Tobel), find a waterfall, climb down the forest slope, take pictures, return home, write a report.
After some trials and experiences I've started to check out on different online maps where waterfalls could possibly be found. I described these steps in my last report http://www.hikr.org/tour/post118099.html

Yesterday I rode to Üssikon for a second time and it was kind of adventurous. As there was an other storm warning for the afternoon, I decided to visit the nearest waterfall, the one in Dorfbachtobel (ravine of Dorfbach). In Üssikon there is an ancient housing called Mühlebach, "Mill Creek". I tried to walk around a building standing close to the creek. But this time I wanted to avoid stumping through a private backyard as I had done times bevore. I therefore decided to push my bike up Bachlenstrasse and try to find an access from uphill.

I locked my bike at the housing Bachlen near to a horsefarm. Then I walked down the street untill I found a path leading to the bottom of the ravine. Through the leafless trees I had a first look at the waterfall.
As I arrived at the end of the path I was surprised to find a dam with leftovers of an artificial pond and an overflow channel running parallel to the natural creek. Further down I saw something like a bridge on a hill leading into the nowhere. I curiously walked to that bridge. It looked quite rotten with mossy, green planks and a broken handrail. Nearby was the waterfall and I wanted to take pictures of it from above. So I dared to cross that bridge, thinking that it would be very bad luck if it collapsed today of all days. It moved a bit but it withstood - even on my way back, because this bridge does not lead anywhere, there is no continuing path.
On the opposite side of the ravine I saw leftovers of a hiking trail with a handrail. I hoped that I could get down to the fall on that way somehow.

I went back to the channel and found an other path leading in a riverdown direction but not decending. I followed it and - arrived on Bachlenstrasse again. It turned out that I stood directly above the housing Mühlebach, the place I had came from. I could see the path leading around the ancient building and into the ravine. For my excuse these pathes aren'd mapped, just like the waterfall. So there was little chance for me to know in advance.

I returend to the overflow and looked for a good place to climb down. It was a bit tricky this time as there are lots of blackberry bushes and only few reliable other plants to hold on. But at last I found a possibility near to a piece of a broken concrete pipe and I managed to get down to the waterfall. As usual I took several pictures, climbed up, got my bike and rode home.

At home I tried to figure out what I had found. By checking several map layers of the GIS browser I found that this whole ensemble is under protection of historic monuments, even the broken concrete pipe. The building in Mühlebach is an ancient mill, the dam with the artificial pond was built in 1815 and was part of some energy generation. I guess thats why this ravine is mapped in the "geologisch-geomorphologisches Inventar".

Now, what have I learned? If a waterfall is mapped, look up in other map layers for the reason!

Hiking grading:
The direct way from Üssikon aroud the ancient mill would be a T2, without getting to the top of the fall. The way I took is about a T3 because of the climbing down the slope.

TO BE CONTINUED

Tourengänger: iuturna
Communities: English

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (2)

Kommentar hinzufügen

Seeger hat gesagt: your next trip
Gesendet am 1. März 2017 um 09:49
..will be to find the mill, that means the end of the tube.
Fantastic story.
Remainds me to mong !
Greetings from Appenzellerland
Andreas

iuturna hat gesagt: RE:your next trip
Gesendet am 1. März 2017 um 11:05
I'm glad you liked my story!
In fact I've found the mill, it's the old building down in the ravine. I didn't dare to walk through the garden. But the story is to be continued, there is more to be found in this Tobel...
:-)

Kommentar hinzufügen»