Chüemettler at sunset

Publiziert von Stijn , 4. Juni 2015 um 22:06.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » St.Gallen
Tour Datum: 3 Juni 2015
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4 - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: Speerkette   CH-SG   Speer-Mattstock 
Zeitbedarf: 2:30
Aufstieg: 550 m
Abstieg: 550 m

I still had an account to settle with the Chüemettler. Already back in April, I wanted to climb the summit at sunset. I had come prepared for some snow, yet I had still expected much less snow than there actually was. I got stuck before the Furggli, but still managed to get high enough to see the sunset. The descent towards Hinterwengi was the most fun part of that evening, as a controlled bum slide down the steep snow made me lose 200 metres of altitude in a matter of minutes.

Yesterday, I came back to the Chüemettler for another after work sunset hike, with the resolve to reach the summit this time.

----

There's no more snow blocking the way, so I decide on the "Alpine Route" through the north-west face. From the car park at Mittlerwengi, I take the almost jungle-like path that climbs to the hut at Ober Bogmen. The hut is open for business and has quite a few customers enjoying the Zürichsee views over their dinner. I continue with my ascent of the Chüemettler. The Alpine Route (T4 / I) consists of a narrow path that zigzags up over green terraces, which are interrupted by steps of characteristic Nagelfluh rock, which require a little scrambling. At the more exposed passages, a few iron pegs and chains are available, and actually quite helpful.

From below, the Chüemettler summit at 1703m seems insignificant, as it is rather overshadowed by the higher nearby peaks of Speer and Federispitz. However, the views from the Chüemettler are still amazing. The panorama to the west and to the north is completely open, as there is not another mountain of nearly the same height in sight. This makes the Chüemettler a perfect spot for sunsets, as my photos should testify.

Right after sunset, I start my descent via Furggli and Hinterwengi. It's not as fun and quick as last time, due to a lack of snow to slide down on, but I get down without needing to use my head torch. Nearing the car park, I'm surprised to encounter to other evening hikers, who are barefoot! It doesn't seem to be the most comfortable thing to do, to be honest...

----

It takes a little planning and commitment to find time for a proper hike on a weekday evening, but the sunset views from the mountains never stop to amaze. With just 2 hours of actual hiking time (at a good pace; closer to 3 hours when keeping to "signpost pace"), the Chüemettler is a perfect goal for an after work hike. And the magic sunsets over the Zürichsee, be it from the Stockberg or from here, just need to be experienced to be believed!

Tourengänger: Stijn

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T4
14 Sep 19
Chüemettler (1703 m) - k. u. k. · alpstein
T4+ II
12 Mai 11
Aussichtslos am Speer · Futanari