Via ferrata Cascade du Dar

Publiziert von Stijn , 10. Juli 2014 um 20:23.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Waadt » Waadtländer Alpen
Tour Datum: 5 Juli 2014
Klettersteig Schwierigkeit: K5 (SS)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-VD 
Zeitbedarf: 2:30

I had signed up for a SAC Uto weekend in the Diablerets massif. Our group consisted of Tourenleiter Michael Stockmeyer and eight others. Originally the plan was to spend the night in the Refuge de Pierredar and on Sunday do the Pierredar via ferrata and continue to the summit of Les Diablerets. After some confusion with the booking of the hut, we had to relocate to the Cabane des Diablerets. This meant that the Pierredar via ferrata was not possible anymore, but two other (considerably more difficult) via ferratas came into the picture instead. The first of those was the via ferrata "Cascade du Dar" (also sometimes simply called "via ferrata de la cascade").

----

The start of the via ferrata is just a short walk from the Col du Pillon. During the approach, you have a good view of the rock wall which is traversed from left to right by the via ferrata, with the waterfall towards the right end of the wall. It has been raining in the morning. The rocks on the via ferrata are dry, but the approach and the intermediate sections are muddy. The mud smears off our boots onto the iron rungs, which makes some extra care necessary.

The crux of the via ferrata comes right at the start. From a short but unsteady wire bridge, you have to step directly into a rather technical overhanging traverse (K5). It's possible to skip the start of the route and join the via ferrata after this section. The route isn't much easier afterwards, though. There is still a long section of mostly lightly overhanging traverse, without much opportunity to take a rest in between. It seems to be especially difficult for tall people like me: the holds on the traverses are placed better for short people, while tall people get squeezed into rather uncomfortable positions. Or maybe it's just my lack of technique... In any case, the via ferrata feels harder than expected to me, and it's a good thing that the route gets gradually easier after a while. The exit is just before the waterfall. If you don't mind getting wet, there's also the possibility to continue a little and have a look underneath the waterfall.

(I'm not sure about the status of the tyrolean on the other side of the waterfall, i.e. if it is still there or not. We didn't go across to have a look.)

----

The via ferrata 'Cascade du Dar' is a technically challenging via ferrata, with some tricky overhanging traverses which are especially demanding for tall people. The grade in the Hüsler scala is K5 in my experience, though most guidebooks seem to grade it slightly lower (K4+ / K5-). Access is very easy from the Col du Pillon.

Continued: via ferrata de la Tête aux Chamois.

Tourengänger: Stijn

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

K3
T4- L I K1
19 Okt 21
Oldenhorn - und mein erster Sex! · Nik Brückner
L II ZS+
WT2