Kurzbericht 

Ortstock from Braunwald (aborted because of snow)

Publiziert von matbor , 17. Juli 2016 um 21:22.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Glarus
Tour Datum:17 Juli 2016
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3+ - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GL   CH-SZ   Ortstockgruppe   CH-UR 
Zeitbedarf: 7:00
Aufstieg: 1400 m
Abstieg: 1500 m
Strecke:Braunwald-Baerentritt-Furggele-Glattalp-Sali
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Train to Braunwald
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:Bus to Sali
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:Glattalp, at least two restaurants with beds

Well let's start with saying that today's a shame, I was not able to reach the summit of the Ortstock.
And now let's try to explain why this happened...
I left Braunwald fully motivated and ready to encounter some snow on the ascent to the Furggele. Baerentritt was easy and went very well however once i arrived at Schoen Buel I almost cried... The entire valley and especially the entire steep ascent to the Furggele was covered with snow... Mostly fresh snow from the week before; for sure 30 to 40 cm.
This obviously made everything more difficult. I could not follow the normal path with constant ascent along the left side of the valley because of fresh avalanches and loaded edges on top. I basically needed to go straight in the middle and avoid the huge snow accumulations on the edge of the Furggele. Honestly I would not have done it by myself, however I met two other people with the same goal in mind and we went together. We went up straight keeping slightly right from the centre and then crossed to the left to get on the final steep part right above the prominent rock formation in the middle. The last few meters were very slippery and dangerous.
This unexpected snow costed me huge additional energy. After a break on the Furggele I still tried to reach the top of the Ortstock, but I was not feeling well and I had cramps in my legs. I finally aborted the tour exactly at the easy climbing passage on the ascent to the Ortstock.
Since a descent from the same side of the Furggele was clearly not an option, I went down to the Glattalp. Te descent in the snow was fun and did not present any particular difficulty. Because of the big crowd waiting fro the cable car I decided to walk all the way down.

Today the difficulty because of the snow was clearly above the usual T3+. More like T4. I will try it again in a few weeks.

Tourengänger: matbor

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

T3+
2 Sep 11
Glattalp Ortstock Charetalp Rundtour · Catch The Moment
T3
3 Jul 21
Ortstock · Hudyx
T3+
27 Okt 19