Mount Tamalpais - a very scenic loop from Stinson Beach

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 6. Dezember 2013 um 16:12.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum: 4 Dezember 2013
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 1000 m
Abstieg: 1000 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Exit Stinson Beach on Highway 101, follow Highway 1 to Stinson Beach.

Mount Tamalpais (the locals call it Mount Tam) is probably one of the most popular outdoors playground in the San Francisco Bay Area, not just for hikers but also mountain bikers. Due to it's steep slopes on all sides it offers spectacular views over the surrounding cities, the rolling hills, the Pacific Ocean and the bay with all the interesting bridges. Since the Sierra Nevada got lots of snow at the beginning of this week (and for the drive up there snow chains would have been required), I decided to visit the coast instead of the high Sierra peaks. For my hike to Mount Tamalpais I chose to start in Stinson Beach and make a big loop back to the coast and explore the many trails of Mount Tamalpais State Park.

I start my hike at the trail head near the community center (on Buena Vista Ave) and walk uphill along the "Matt Davis" trail. After about an hour at around 1400ft I leave the "Matt Davis" trail and head further uphill along path traces to the hill top at around 2000ft. There I run into a very nice resting place with a neat little bench made out of rocks: Dad O'Rourke's Bench. And of course I have to take a break here, not only for the beautiful views towards the ocean and San Francisco, but also to enjoy the warm sun and eat & drink a little something.

After the break (I could have stayed there for hours) I walk along path traces and get to the Rocky Springs Parking area and continue along the "Rock Springs Trail" to the West Point Inn. From there I follow the "Old Railroad Grade"(yes there used to be a cog wheel train up to Mount Tamalpais - see some pics here) to the top of Mount Tamalpais, the East Peak, which offers an excellent and breathtaking view.

After another long break I head back towards Stinson Beach. For the way back I first follow the "Fern Creek Trail" to "Old Railroad Grade" back to the West Point Inn again and from there I take the "Nora Trail" to the "Matt Davis Trail" and get to the Pantoll Ranger Station. From there I then hike down the very interesting "Steep Ravine Trail" with lots of huge pine trees to the "Dipsea Trail" which finally leads me back to Stinson Beach. The whole hike the way I did it, is about 20 miles long and all easy (T2). At Stinson Beach I then go down to the beach and enjoy the very lovely sunset before I drive back home.

PS: At home I found out that Mount Tamalpais is another California county highpoint, it's the one of Marine Country

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T2
22 Aug 15
Mount Tamalpais · 360
T2

Kommentare (4)

Kommentar hinzufügen

alpstein hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 6. Dezember 2013 um 16:25
Wonderful impressions! Your report also help me to improve my english. It's necessary, because last lesson was in 1973 ;-)

regards
alpstein

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 6. Dezember 2013 um 23:05
alpstein,

1973, that's quite some time ago. I didn't know a single word of English then :-)

Greets, 360

Henrik hat gesagt: Stinson Beach
Gesendet am 7. Dezember 2013 um 09:06
...reminds moviegoers on the sequence where Cathrine Tramell is answering questions to Det Nick Curran ....

> We see the Bixby Creek Arch Bridge. The film insinuates a Stinson locale north of the city, but filming actually took place south of San Francisco in the Carmel Highlands.

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:Stinson Beach
Gesendet am 8. Dezember 2013 um 02:10
aha... had to read up on that one, interesting.
Greets, 360

Kommentar hinzufügen»