Science Friction at Lembert Dome

Publiziert von Alpin_Rise , 21. Oktober 2016 um 15:23.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:16 Juni 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: IV (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 250 m

Lembert Dome is a perfect model for the numerous "Domes" that accompany Tioga Road. These interesting geologic phenomenona formed by glaciers ressemle turtle panzers and are made of compact granite rock. Therefore they are an invitation to parctise friction (slab) climbing. Lembert Domes southface is not too steep allowing several variations from 5.3 in the eastern (right) half, getting harder the more you go left (west) giving way to some classical climbing routes in the water gullies.

Since 360 is back in good old Switzerland for a short holiday, I dug a little bit in the souvenirs of my 2014 USA trip. Some little strollings and climbs were not published till now - more to follow.

Lembert Dome southface: fritction climbing in perfect granite

The Lembert Dome Parking after (esast) the bridge over Tuolumne River is right at the base of a low-incline Granite Slab, that becomes the Lembert Dome south (or west) "face" as it gets stepper. At the base you choose your line and go for it - there's no proteciton in place, if you use a rope be sure to follow suitable structures to place your gear (not many opportunities). 
I climbed Lembert Dome twice on two different days. One was an easyer (round 5.4 = UIAA 3) line, folowing some ledges to the right and a "harder" direct route (about 5.5 = UIAA 4). I would name it "Science Friction", since you have to do some personal research: Do you trust your feet and do you know your own limits?

Descent is the easyest following the path down eastwards (long) described here or climb down the eastern part of the sout face along some ledges with trees again.
There are some good climbs in the sout wall Lembert Dome right and furhtermost in the northwest face.

Tourengänger: Alpin_Rise

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T3
22 Jul 11
Lembert Dome (2.880 m) · pika8x14
T2
27 Mai 13
Lembert Dome (2880 m) · SCM