Ice Age II in Hombrechtikon - Chlausbachtobel and Sageli (SG)

Publiziert von iuturna , 9. April 2017 um 13:05.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Zürich
Tour Datum:15 März 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-ZH 
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Bus stop Wolfhausen, Hüebli
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:Bus stop Wolfhausen, Hüebli

The aera of Zürcher Oberland (Zurich Uplands) was shaped by Ice Age. Glaciers have left behind plains, terraces, ravines, and creeks. They have had a great influence on industrial and economical culture as well as on the agriculture of the area.

My project is to document waterfalls, and there are many to be found in this region.

This time I got out of the bus in Wolfhausen, at Hüebli, which is near to the creek called Hüeblibach. My aim was the waterfall of Chlausbach which is 23 m high and located in the community area of Hombrechtikon.

Following Berlikonerstrasse, I reached Chlausbach (Klausbach) and followed it in a westward direction. Shortly after it's junction with Hüeblibach it vanishes under the street. Opposite of the guidepost Forch-Rapperswil-Schwösterrainstrasse it reappears as a small chute falling over a rock of molasse conglomerate.

Unfortunatelly the water is very eutrophic, green and full of algea. Nevertheless this waterfall is beautiful. In this season it falls into a natural garden of bear's garlic and anemones.

I continued following the creek on Laufenbachstrasse. At first I wanted to have a look at the chute from above. Near to a house with a barking dog I found a good place for climbing down the slope. I walked riverdown till I could see the edge of the fall. Due to the many blackberry plants covering the ground it was more sneaking than walking.
The rim was difficult to reach but the view into the large arena was great!

I returned to the street and continued in a soutward direction untill I found a path leading down into the ravine again. On the ravine's bottom there is a forest road leading riverup. The fall is easy to reach, T2.
I've sat on a small hill of earth eating my snack and watching the waterfall. With it's highth of 23 meters it is as high as Rheinfall (but not as large, of corse).

On my way back I found an old object, about 25 cm long. I guess it's a tool made from hand forged iron. I've sent a picture to Kantonsarchäologie and to Ballenberg Museum, but none of them knew what it was. If anyone of you has an idea, I would be interested.

After getting out of the ravine I followed Schlattstrasse to the east. There is a place called Zopf which looks to me as if there was another waterfall. The landscape is shaped by the glaciers of the last Ice Age, leaving behind large terraces.  They have been used for winegrowing for generations. It was Ice Age again which determined human culture.

I missed the turnoff to Zopf and crossed the border to the canton St. Gallen. A short while later a arrived at a restaurant called Sageli, a former saw driven by hydro energy. On the opposite side of the street, between two old huts, I was very surprised to find: a small waterfall! I took some pictures and had a coffee.

On my way back to Wolfhausen I hiked up to Balm enjoying the beautiful view over the misty Lake of Zurich.

Tourengänger: iuturna
Communities: English

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (2)

Kommentar hinzufügen

gbal hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 10. April 2017 um 22:22
Very good exploring and geological discovering Nina. That's interesting. I like this ipothesys: the old glaciers contributed to the present wine production and not only this!

P.S.: May I guess you are a valid English teacher?.....Maybe?

iuturna hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 10. April 2017 um 23:02
Thanks very much for your compliments!
No, I'm not a teacher, I've learnt both, German and English when I was a kid in everyday life.
Ciao!

Kommentar hinzufügen»