With Omega3 on top of Round Top and The Sisters - Mokelumne Wilderness revisited

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 9. November 2014 um 19:07.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum: 5 November 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA   Mokelumne Wilderness 
Aufstieg: 650 m
Abstieg: 650 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Highway 88 to Carson Pass
SNO-PARK Pass Parking Permit required (5$ per day or 25$ for a season pass)
Check this link for details and how to purchase the permit online

On their short visit in California Omega3 and partner stopped by at our house and "oh surprise", the next day we planned to go on a hike together. Unfortunately the Sierra Nevada got hit by the first winter storm of the season on the weekend before they arrived. However, judging from webcams and the word from a friend's relative who lives in the Tahoe area, the snow situation didn't seem very bad up there, a few inches at the most and those seemed to be melting rapidly. Therefore, we could aim for Omega3's "favorite dish", a few 3K-peaks. The choices were Round Top and The Sisters, not only because it would fit with their travel plans for the next days, but also because I really liked the area during *my last visit.

We park the car at the Carson Pass Sno-Park and from there follow the trail to Frog and Winemucca Lake. A little snow is still on the ground but nothing really serious. From here to the saddle between Round Top and The Sisters we walk in a north facing slope which doesn't get any sun any more at this time of the year and therefore the snow probably won't melt any more. However even where the wind accumulated snow it still is less than a foot deep and doesn't require any sort of "snow toys". From the saddle to the Top of Round Top the snow melted already and this stretch is completely snow-free.

The hardest part of the hike is to get from the false west summit to the highpoint, the east summit. The direct way more or less along the ridge is feasible, but definitely harder than bypassing this section south of the ridge (easy class 3 / T4+/I).

We enjoy the fabulous view up at the top, find Rise's entry in the summit register (thanks for the greetings!) and eat and drink a little bit. After that Omeag3 and I make a little "detour" to the two Sisters along the connecting ridge (to bag 2 more 3Ks :-) and walk back to Winnemucca Lake. From where we then retrace our steps back to the car.

Tourengänger: Omega3, 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»