Woods Lake a nice alternative start for a ski tour to Round Top

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 7. Mai 2018 um 22:41.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum: 4 Mai 2018
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Ski Schwierigkeit: WS
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA   Mokelumne Wilderness 
Aufstieg: 700 m
Abstieg: 700 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Woods Lake Road off of Carson Pass Highway (88)

As you might have noticed by now, Round Top is one of my favorite goals in winter and summer. So far my starting point for this tour has always been Carson Pass. For back-country ski tours, the section from Carson Pass to Winnemucca Lake is somewhat sub-optimal. The main reason is that this part is rather flat with only little gain in altitude and quite a few slight ups and downs. So even for the way back from the lake to Carson Pass it is often easier to put on the skins back on the skis. In addition the orientation is not easy close to the pass, due to the trees and nature of the terrain.
Last week while driving from Carson Pass to Kirkwood, I noticed that the Woods Lake access road is not blocked off with a gate, the first part was completely snow free and some cars were parked there close to Highway 88. Checking out the map showed me two interesting alternative routes to Round Top which seem to have way less terrain which wouldn't be ski-able on the way back: one to Winnemucca Lake following the drainage from Winnemucca - to Woods Lake uphill and one along the little creek coming from Round Top Lake into Woods Lake, which should make a nice little loop from the Campground there.

I park my car on Woods Lake Road near Highway 88, at the beginning near the Highway it's snow free and a few spots for cars are available. Soon the road is snow covered and I put my skis on and follow the road to the Woods Creek Parking Area and Trailhead. Without looking at my map I wrongfully assume that I'm at the lake already and take a left and follow some ski tracks along a marked path there. Soon I notice my mistake and go south for about 1/2 a mile and get to the trail from Woods Lake to Winnemucca Lake. It is marked high up on the trees with blue diamonds. Soon I then reach Winnemucca Lake and from there choose a relative direct route to the west ridge of Round Top. I quickly change shoes and put on my trail runners and walk and scramble up to the highpoint along the snow free west ridge. Once again I'm impressed with the nice view up here and take an extensive break.

Back to the ski depot I change back into my ski boots and ski down top Round Top Lake and from there follow the creek which drains into Woods Lake, first southwest, then to the Lost Cabin Mine and finally west down to the lake. A wonderful and scenic line with only little flat parts and nice corn snow.

Even for the way from Woods Lake back to the parked car near Highway 88, I can ski most of it with very little pushing, due to the slight but steady downhill along Woods Lake Road.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»