Gross Spannort above the clouds

Publiziert von Stijn , 31. Juli 2014 um 19:22.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Uri
Tour Datum:23 Juli 2014
Hochtouren Schwierigkeit: WS
Klettern Schwierigkeit: III (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-UR 
Zeitbedarf: 9:00
Aufstieg: 1250 m
Abstieg: 1250 m

Monday to Friday last week, I attended an mountaineering course at the Spannorthütte. The course was organized for SAC section Uto by mountain guide Tom Rohrer. I learned a lot during the five days (and also leaned that there is still so much more to learn).

The highlight of the course, which is organised several times each summer, is usually (weather allowing) the ascent of the Gross Spannort. Traditionally, this takes place on Thursday. However, after having studied the weather forecast, Tom and his fellow guide Freddi decided to attempt the ascent on Wednesday already. This proved to be a brilliant call. When the alarm clock rang at 4.30am, the night sky was clear, while a beautiful sea of clouds covered the Engelberg valley. No better motivation for getting up so early.

I was with five other participants under the guidance of Tom. The other guide Freddi had six more people under his wing behind us. Having followed a guide up, I'm not the best person to give a detailed description of the route. Route finding without a guide would not be easy, but a detailed route description can be obtained at the Spannorthütte, as well as in other several reports here on Hikr (e.g. by أجنبي or Lulubusi).

Roughly, the ascent from the Spannorthütte consists of three parts. First, a steep hike from the hut to the Schlossberglücke. Then, a glacier hike circling around the Gross Spannort (keeping well away from any rock fall debris) to the Spannortjoch. The final ascent is on rock, with a few short climbs up to UIAA grade III. On descent, we do an abseil from three different spots. On the way back, we pass around the western face of the Gross Spannort, completing a full circle around the summit. This round tour, excluding the push for the summit, would be a worthwhile glacier hike on its own without any technical difficulties (but with some challenging route finding especially to the west of the Gross Spannort).

I could start lyricising the views, but this time I'll just let the photos speak for themselves.

Gross Spannort is an iconic peak, and was a delight to be able to get to the summit in such beautiful conditions.

Tourengänger: Stijn

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

WS III
14 Jun 22
Gross Spannort 3198 · 1joe
T6- III
T3 WS III
10 Sep 11