Mount Dana and Mount Gibbs - easy and high

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 31. Oktober 2014 um 17:12.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:24 Oktober 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4- - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 1250 m
Abstieg: 1250 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Tioga Pass, Yosemite NP - Parking available outside and inside the National Park

Originally Vauacht and I had planned to pay a visit to Mount Lyell and Mount Mclure on this weekend. However, several constraints were not fulfilled (in particular the fact that an overnight stay of any kind at the Tuolumne Meadows is not really feasible any more after October 15) and therefore these plans had to be put to its winter hibernation. Since I didn't want to just stay at home and twiddle my thumbs, I planned to do something in the area anyway. I decided to stay at the closest campground near Tioga Pass which was still open at this time of the year, so I set up my tent at Lundy Canyon. My goal for this day was Mount Dana and Mount Gibbs, an easy but high warm-up for my planned next day.

Before I talk about my hike I just have to say a few words about the campground at Lundy Canyon, because it was such a pleasant experience. Being there at the tail end of the season made the stay even more pleasant. Only very few people seem to go camping here at this time of the year even though for Swiss climatic standards it would probably almost qualify as a nice summer weekend... The closeness to Mono Lake makes this campground quite an attractive alternative to an (overpriced) hotel in Lee Vining. Even though here you don't have any luxury items like showers or drinking water. You'll find an abundance of nature though and fishermen/women can amuse themselves at close-by Lundy Lake. The beauty of fall colors of the trees, the wonderful sunsets and unusual widespread camp sites will make me come back here again!

Since I'm the "proud owner" of a handed down (thanks Rise) Annual Pass to all US National Parks, I park my car right after the entrance to Yosemite NP (there are parking possibilities before the entrance as well, in case you want to avoid the entrance fee). I know that there is a path up to Mount Dana but it seems straight forward without any obvious difficulties to get to the top, so I don't pay any attention to any paths, but walk right into the direction of Mount Dana through meadows, a forest and some rocks. At an altitude of about 11600 ft, I actually run into the path and follow it all the way to the summit (T2). It is quite windy and rather cold today and I'm glad I brought my hat and gloves a long. On the east side of the summit I find a sunny and more or less windless spot to rest, eat and enjoy the marvelous view. Mono Lake just looks stunning from up here.

After my break I walk down the talus of the southeast face of Mount Dana (T3) to the lowest point between Dana and Gibbs. From there I cross over to the N-ridge of Mount Gibbs, scree and talus again. The final climb to the top of Gibbs is a joyful scramble along the ridge line, nothing too difficult (T4-ish) which probably can be made easier left or right of the ridge if needed. When I get there the wind picked up even more and it doesn't make me stay very long. I descend along the WNW ridge which I planned to follow all the way down. However, the strong wind gets really annoying and at around 11800 ft, I decide to leave the ridge and dive into the wind protected north side and walk down (talus and steep grass) to the little Dana Fork valley. What a relieve! From there I then walk down to the Dana Meadows and along this beautiful meadow back to Tioga Pass.

*continued...

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (2)

Kommentar hinzufügen

Vauacht hat gesagt: The views?
Gesendet am 31. Oktober 2014 um 20:52
Congrats to these two high Sierra mountains!

How did you like the view from Dana? They're fantastic, aren't they?

Somewhat unrelated but interesting: as I wrote in my report, we met an older guy on Mount Dana who claimed that the views from its top are among the best in the Sierras. Well, I didn't mention that this guy apparently already climbed all significant peaks in the Sierras and wrote several books about it. There are even two 6000er named after him in South America. I assume that we can trust his opinion about the views on Mount Dana. Also, this guy was the reason for me to put Mount Lyell on the project list because he told us so enthusiastically about this climb. A shame I didn't ask for his name.

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:The views?
Gesendet am 1. November 2014 um 00:08
Yes, the view was fantastic! I guess two good the reasons for the excellent view up there are: almost 4k high and some sort of a corner position right before the range drops off down to Mono Lake.

Maybe you can do some research and determine that name. There's probably not too many people who have 2 6Ks named after themselves and written books about Sierra peaks...

Kommentar hinzufügen»