Bull Run Peak via Pacific Valley

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 29. August 2016 um 01:13.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:26 August 2016
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4- - Alpinwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 650 m
Abstieg: 650 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:SR 4, turnout about 200 yards east of the entrance to Pacific Valley Campground.

Bull Run Peak caught my attention at the shore of Lower Blue Lake at the end of my tour to *Deadwood Peak. At the time I had no idea which peak it was, but thanks to the udeuschle website, I was able to figure it out. On this day I actually had different plans to do an easy short hike with a friend. However, when I wanted to pick him up early in the morning he seemed to be sound asleep and didn't answer the door bell or phone calls. Since I had the map for Bull Run Peak with me, I decided to change the original plan and go to this alternate goal instead. Even though I didn't really study how to get to it's top in advance, judging from the map, I figured it couldn't be too difficult to get to the highpoint.

My starting point is a turnout on State Route 4 about 200 yards east of the entrance to the Pacific Valley Campground. I walk along the gravel road into the campground. At its end I then follow the Pack Trail all the way to the saddle northeast of Bull Run Peak at approximately 8900 ft. The Pacific Valley is wonder- and peaceful with lots of beautiful flora, meadows and a lovely Pacific Creek. It's home to the federally listed threatened Lahontan cutthroat trout. I actually saw a few (see this picture for example).

From the saddle northeast of Bull Run Peak, I first walk south of the ridge, later follow it and bypass the huge pinnacle on the north side. There's actually a good usetrail which leads all the way up to the highpoint (class II, T3). On the south side of the pinnacle there would be a relatively easy class III chute to scramble up to the summit plateau as well. I enjoy the view and peace up here and take a long break. According to the summit register, the peak seems to get quite a few visitors during the summer months.

For my way down I decide to check out the west end of the mountain, which drops off almost vertically in some places. I can't find a direct, easy way to the saddle at 9100 ft, northwest of the peak. However, the southern end of the west flank allows a relatively easy scramble down (class II-III, T4/I), the further south the easier it is. From the saddle I then traverse east via the flat part of the north side of Bull Run Peak (at an elevation of ca. 9000 ft) and back down to the Pack Trail which I catch at 8600 ft. From there I then retrace my steps back to the campground and car.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»