Hurd Peak - Warm-up and appetizer in the Evolution Range

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 25. September 2014 um 00:54.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:19 September 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: II (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 800 m
Abstieg: 800 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:South Lake Bishop
Head west on CA-168. After 14.7 mi turn left onto S Lake Rd and follow it for 7.1 mi to it's end a the Parking lot near South Lake
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:Numerous campgrounds along the S Lake Rd. I stayed at the Four Jeffrey Campground. The ones higher up and closer to South Lake were already closed for the season.

My fitness has somewhat suffered since I moved to California (I sit in cars too often ;-). So for my first hiking day on this extended WE near Bishop, I put something not too strenuous on my want-to-climb list. It should also help to acclimatise to the altitude for the *main course on the next day. Today I wanted to climb Hurd Peak (3713m / 12179 ft) in the Evolution Range. An approach from South Lake with an altitude gain of 800m seemed like the proper dose for me, and it would also leave me plenty of time for some fishing in one of the many lakes up there. According to several sources, climbing Hurd Peak from West and East is not too difficult, so I chose a west-east traverse from Treasure - to Long Lake.

I start my hike at the South Lake parking lot and walk along the marked trail into the John Muir Wilderness towards Bishop Pass. After a little less than a mile I take the right path to Treasure Lakes instead of continuing along the Bishop Pass trail. The trail is well maintained and poses no difficulties. After I get to the first (two) Treasure Lakes I continue along the path (which isn't very obvious any more) and shortly after leave it to get to the two smaller lakes at the base of the Hurd Peak west flank(probably also part of the many Treasure Lakes).

From there I take the center chute (which is a little N of the highest point) all the way up to the N-S ridge of Hurd peak (see this picture). The difficulties in the chute are moderate (T4+) at the beginning a lot of rubble and loose rock, later some climbing in wonderful granite (I-II). The other chutes on the west flank are most likely not much different or more difficult that the one I came up. Once up there I follow the ridge southwards to the highest point with the little glass jar summit register.

The early morning clouds have been "burned away" by sun by now and I can enjoy a wonderful panorama to oh so many new goals in this area. For my way down to Long Lake I enter the east flank straight from the highest point and traverse north to an obvious chute, which I follow downwards. At some point it gets a little narrow and steep, but the almost vertical drop can easily be bypassed on the right hand side in some shrubs. The difficulties here are even less than in the west flank, T4-, at the most.

Down at the lake I pull out my fishing gear (Note for Rise: Yes, I now bought my own telescope fishing pole which fits nicely into my backpack) and more or less immediately catch two fish almost like at the Upper Boy Scout Lake. The two lakes are on similar heights and probably the most important reason: you can't drive your car there, so not too many people come fishing here, because of the hike involved.

Afterwards I slowly walk around the lake counter clock wise and from the north end of the lake walk down the main trail back to South Lake.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T2 WS- II
31 Aug 08
Mount Agassiz · Basti

Kommentar hinzufügen»