North Peak - Traverse from Saddlebag Lake to Lundy Canyon

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 8. Juni 2016 um 03:48.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:20 Juni 2015
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T5- - anspruchsvolles Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: II (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 750 m
Abstieg: 1600 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Saddlebag Lake
Zufahrt zum Ankunftspunkt:Lundy Canyon Campground
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:Various Camprounds near Saddlebag Lake, or the primitive but very nice Lundy Canyon Campground

North Peak is a very attractive and high mountain on the boundary between the Inyo National Forest and Yosemite National Park. I already *tried to climb it once, but failed already early in the morning due to extremely strong winds. The peak offers several different routes from easy to difficult and is climbed quite frequently in summer and winter.
My approach to the top was from Saddlebag Lake via the SE chute, an interesting but not too hard of a scramble. For my way down I tried the Northwest Ridge, but about half way down it got too difficult for me (exposed class IV) and so I took the easy detour via Upper McCabe Lake and then crossing over to the Twenty Lakes Basin east of North Peak and from there down to the campground at Lundy Canyon via the spectacular Lundy Canyon Trail.

After I get dropped off at Saddlebag Lake, I immediately start my hike along the west side of the lake along the path to its end. I then follow path traces along the south side of Greenstone Lake and get up to the extended east ridge of North Peak. From there I head towards the SE Chute, which looks rather difficult from this perspective. However, once in there it turns out to be a joyful scramble (class III, T5/II). The most difficult part of the climb is the last stretch to get to the south ridge. Once that's behind me it's only a few last easy steps to the top. No need to mention that the peak offers an very nice panorama.

After a break and taking in the nice view I follow the North Ridge down. First it's actually northwest and later turns north and is rather easy class II. However, at the point were the ridge turns northeast (at about 11600 ft) it drops almost vertically and the exposedness can't easily be ignored. I try to climb down, but it soon is obvious that for a down climb it is too difficult for me. So I decide to bypass this part on the west side where there is an easy way down to Upper McCabe Lake.

In order to get over to the Twenty Lakes Basin east of North Peak, I walk along the shore of Upper McCabe Lake and find a rather good usetrail leading up to the lowest point in the connecting ridge between North Peak and Shepherd Crest. The way down to Shepherd Lake is not very clear and hard to find, but some cairns here and there lead the way (easy class III).

For the rest of the hike down to Lundy Canyon Campground I then follow the marked path passing Shemrock Lake and Lake Helen. From the pass west of Lake Helen, I follow the Lundy Canyon Trail which is spectacular and scenic. Along the way, I encounter very impressive waterfalls, enormous beaver ponds and abundant meadows & wildflowers. At the beginning the trail is quite steep and even somewhat exposed and not always obvious to follow, further down the path is easy and clear.

PS: *

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»