Stanislaus- and Sonora Peak

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 16. Juli 2017 um 23:19.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:14 Juli 2017
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3+ - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 1000 m
Abstieg: 1000 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Saint Mary's Pass Trailhead, about 0.8 miles west of Sonora Pass on Highway 108

Stanislaus- and Sonora Peak are two relatively easy accessible peaks from Sonora Pass. They are both pretty high, with Sonora Peak actually being the highest peak of the Sierra Nevada north of Sonora Pass. I had plans to climb these two mountains at the end of September last year already. However, I miserably failed due to the fact that Highway 108 was temporarily closed from Kennedy to Leavitt Meadows due to some early snow in that region and me not checking the road conditions ahead of the day. This time I successfully drove up to Sonora Pass and conquered the two from there in a joyful and scenic loop.

After a short night on the pick-nick bench with my mat and sleeping bag in the parking area of Sonora Pass, I drive to my starting point about 0.8 miles northwest of the pass. There's a gravel parking lot across the street from the trailhead. I start at around 5 AM and walk along the trail to Saint Mary's Pass. The moon is pretty bright and the sun is about to rise in less than an hour, so I don't need any artificial lightning. From Saint Mary's Pass I walk on the east side of the connecting ridge, trying to keep altitude and using mostly snow fields to walk on.

From it's northeastern base, Stanislaus Peak actually looks like it's not going to be all that easy, but other than steep and the occasional "hand out the pocket" it is pretty easy, class II, T3+. There are path traces and the way up is pretty much the direct line to the highpoint. After s short break I climb back down to the base and from here follow more or less the connecting ridge to Sonora Peak, "bagging" the two distinct bumps (P. 10578 and P. 11010) on the way. The same is true as it was for Stanislaus, not very difficult and an occasional hand on the rock. After P. 10578 I take advantage of the huge east side cornice and after P. 11010 I partially walk on the western side snow field somewhat below the ridge.

After enjoying the view from Sonora Peak, I walk along the use-trail on the curving south ridge to the PCT, traverse west on the PCT (one tricky very steep snow field) to around 10000 ft and from there using as many snow fields as I can find (which don't look like they will cave in) back to the trailhead.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T3 WS
WS
23 Jun 17
Leave it or ski Leavitt? · 360

Kommentar hinzufügen»