Snow up to my chin - Jakes Peak?

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 8. Februar 2017 um 16:38.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:27 Januar 2017
Ski Schwierigkeit: S-
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 700 m
Abstieg: 700 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Turnout on Highway 89, about 1000 ft south of Bliss State Park

According to several sources Jakes Peak (or grammatically correct: Jake's Peak) is one of the most popular back country ski destinations in the Tahoe area. With its corner position at the north end of Emerald Bay it offers fabulous views of Lake Tahoe in general and Emerald Bay in particular. With the many many feet of snow this area got in the last few weeks it was time for me to explore and ski this "white stuff".

David Wonser nicely described several different options for skiing Jake's Peak (website not available any more). After looking at his detailed map reading and printing his description, I felt ready to conquer Jakes Peak and decided to do the ascent from Bliss State Park and ski down the northeastern glades.

Parking along the west shore of Lake Tahoe after (or during) heavy snow fall is not always easy and in addition the road between Emerald Bay and Bliss State Park is often closed during those times (it's advisable to check the Caltrans website beforehand). I found a plowed turnout about 1000ft south of Bliss State Park on Highway 89. Right there I find the skin track going up the mountain in southwestern direction. At around 7500 ft the terrain gets rather steep (almost 40° for about 200 ft) and then at the boundary of the Desolation Wilderness is relatively flat for a while. The view to Lake Tahoe is omnipresent all day long and the amount of snow is very impressive to say the least.

After a short break I continue southeast again up the hill, mostly following the (for my taste a little too aggressively steep) skin track. Shortly before the high-point, the view down to Emerald Bay is best. I arrive at the top of (or what I think is the top of) Jake's Peak shortly after 3 fit ladies (who passed me on the way up and clearly made me realize how insufficient my current fitness level is :-)

The panorama up here on a sunny day like this is truly impressive and even though the wind is kind of chilly, I enjoy it for quite a while. During the whole tour I didn't look at any map a single time because the existing skin track clearly guided my way up the mountain. Since the 3 ladies put on there skis and snowboards and ski down, I assume I'm on top of the true summit of Jakes Peak and don't even think twice that this might not be the real high-point according to the US topo maps. I only find out at home when I actually look at the CalTopo map. Judging from the reports on the internet it seems like this southernmost peak is probably visited most often and considered "one of the Jakes Peaks", but the whole ridge north if it and it's high-points all the way to Rubicon Peak seem to regularly be visited as well. A good reason for me to come back and bag the true summit and other peaks as well.

For my way down I choose the northeastern glades through a beautiful old growth forest. These glades are well spaced and sometimes have pretty large openings for relatively unhindered skiing, but curving around trees is fun too. The steepness here is quite impressive and in some places around 40° or even slightly more. The powder is well set and fun to ride. I'll definitely be back for more of this, including the true summit!

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»