Slide Mountain - "backcountry skiing" in the Mount Rose Ski Resort

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 5. Juni 2017 um 22:26.

Region: Welt » United States » Nevada
Tour Datum: 2 Juni 2017
Ski Schwierigkeit: WS+
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-NV 
Aufstieg: 900 m
Abstieg: 900 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Parking at the Ski Resort east of the Mount Rose Summit on 431, Mt Rose Highway

Even though almost all of the ski resorts in the Sierra Nevada are closed for the season by now, a lot of places still have more than enough snow left for skiing. I usually avoid ski resort not only because the day passes in the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe are outrageously expensive (typically > 100$), but also because I don't particularly like to ski together with hundreds if not thousands of other people. On this day things were a little different though, I went skiing in the Mount Rose ski resort and had the mountain and all its slopes just for myself.

On the day before my tour I checked the ski resort's website to make sure it's closed. Since their webcams are still online, I also saw that there was plenty of snow left all the way down to the parking lot. Early in the morning I get to the deserted resort. No other car is in the parking lot, nobody seems to be in the whole resort. I put on my skins and ski up to the top station of the chair lift along the Ponderosa Slope, then the Kit Carson Bowl and later the Kit Carson Traverse. In order to get to the high point of Slide Mountain I ski to the false summit north of it and from there get to the highest point by foot. The high point is surrounded by lots of telecommunication towers. The view to Lake Tahoe and down to the Carson Valley and in particular to Lake Washoe is quite amazing.

After a short break I ski down to the Winters Creek lodge via Gold Run. The snow is actually surprisingly good even though the temperature is in the 60-ies already. At the Winters Creek Lodge I put the skins back onto the skis and then go to the top of the mountain again, this time via Badlands, Bruce's and the High Traverse. I then take an extended break at the top of the chairlift and ski back down to the parking lot via Bullwhip. The snow is still surprisingly good to ski.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (2)

Kommentar hinzufügen

nprace hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 6. Juni 2017 um 10:11
Krasse welt! Hier in CH ist längst Sommer und in Kalifornien (!!!!) kann man noch weit und breit Skitouren geniessen.
Weiterhin viel Spass!
N

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 6. Juni 2017 um 17:08
Ja, die Sierra Nevada hat in der Tat aussergewöhnlich viel Schnee bekommen dieses Jahr und in der High Sierra sind wohl sogar Skitouren bis zum nächsten Winter möglich, denn stellenweise hat's noch immer 70-80 ft Schnee!
Die meisten (Sommer-) Strassen-Pässe sind noch immer geschlossen, wenn die dann endlich öffnen, wirds sicherlich noch die eine oder andere Skitour geben.

Gruss, 360

Kommentar hinzufügen»