Tamarack Peak, Mount Houghton and Relay Peak - Peak Bagging in Nevada's Sierra

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 15. März 2014 um 19:07.

Region: Welt » United States » Nevada
Tour Datum:12 März 2014
Ski Schwierigkeit: WS
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-NV 
Aufstieg: 800 m
Abstieg: 800 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Mount Rose Summit, free parking lot on the pass between Reno and Tahoe on Mt Rose Highway (431)

My original plan for this day was to do a ski or snowshoe tour up to Mount Rose. This mountain is very close to the California - Nevada border and relatively easy to get to from the Mount Rose Summit, the pass on Highway 431 between Reno and Tahoe. The goal was to first climb Tamarack Peak and via it's northern hour-glass-bowl get to Mount Houghton and then approach the 3287m high Mount Rose via its SW ridge. However, the current snow conditions on Mount Rose weren't compatible with my plans and since I didn't feel like climbing the last 200m to Mount Rose by foot in my ski boots, I had to change my plan and instead of climbing Mount Rose after Mount Houghton I decided to visit Relay Peak and was rewarded with a marvelous view to Lake Tahoe.

I start my tour at the parking lot of Mt Rose Summit, the highest year-round Sierra Pass (8,911 ft, 2,716 m). I debate whether I should take my skis or my snowshoes, because of the unknown snow situation on Mount Rose (the last stretch is known for not having too much snow even in winters with lots of snow). However, all the surrounding peaks are in the clouds at this point and I can't see what the snow situation is like up there, so I decide to take a chance and take my skis. From the parking lot I more or less follow the ridge to Tamarack Peak, first westwards, later turning northwest (L). The breezy winds are very strong and rather cold and I'm glad I brought my warmest winter clothes along.

Backcountry skiers know Tamarack Peak for it's N-facing so-called Hourglass Bowl, it is a couloir on the northern side which has an ideal steepness for fun skiing of around 30 degrees and of course I take that for my first descend. In the meantime most of the clouds disappeared and I can already see that Mount Rose doesn't really have enough snow for a ski tour. Skiing down the Hourglass Bowl is not as much fun as I would have wished for, because of the rather meager snow quality. I find a few powder pockets here and there but unfortunately most of the bowl is hard and sometimes even icy.

About two thirds down I decide to cross over to towards a plateau at around 9200 ft where I put the skins back onto my skis. Climbing Mt Houghton from here is rather easy, first westwards to the saddle between Mt Houghton and the radio tower peak and then along the S ridge to the Mount Houghton summit. It is still very windy and I have to get out all of my clothes and the thickest gloves I brought along. A few times the wind almost knocks me of my feet.

Looking over to Mount Rose from here makes it very clear now: there isn't enough snow to get to the top with the skis. The south face is almost completely snow free and even the NW ridge doesn't seem to have any snow any more. Since it is too early to go home I look around to find another peak which I can climb. South of me is Relay Peak which looks like a good option for another summit to go by skis. In order to get there I ski to the lowest point before the radio tower and then just follow the connecting ridge which is straight forward, without any major difficulties, except the very strong winds which are uncomfortable, if not annoying. Anyway, I get to Relay Peak and am impressed with the view it offers, in particular to Lake Tahoe. I find a more or less windless resting place west of the summit and enjoy the sun and view for quite a while.

Unfortunately Relay Peak and the surrounding area is a very popular goal for snow mobiles and almost every slope on this mountain shows an abundance of snow mobile tracks. These tracks don't really make the skiing all that enjoyable, but rather tricky. In order to get back to the parking lot I ski down the east flank of Relay Peak and then head north to the access road for the radio tower and then follow this road back to the Mt Rose Highway and the parking lot.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»