Mono Lake and Panum Crater - visiting a truly unique place in the Sierra Nevada

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 21. Januar 2014 um 19:31.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:18 Januar 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3 - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA 
Aufstieg: 100 m
Abstieg: 100 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt: Lee Vining (25 miles south of Bridgeport) on Highway 395

As Delta *showed not too long ago the Mono Lake Basin is definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in California. It was on my to-do list even before I moved here. As a "local" it is now "just around the corner" (for US standards only!). On this weekend I combined the trip to Mono Lake with a hike to the nearby Robinson Peak and Sawmill Ridge on the following day (*see here).

Mono Lake is a large, shallow saline lake formed approximately one million years ago. It is a terminal lake which has no outlet. The lack of such an outlet causes high levels of salts to accumulate in the lake (about 2 1/2 times the salt in the ocean with a pH of about 10!). It's mostly famous for the spectacular "tufa towers" (calcium-carbonate spires and knobs which are formed by the reaction of freshwater springs and the alkaline lake water) and the 1 – 2 million birds that feed and rest at Mono Lake each year. The nearby Panum Crater is a volcanic cone and is only about 600-700 years old. It not only offers a very nice view of the whole basin and the surrounding mountains, but is an interesting small crater with lots of Obsidian and Rhyolite laying around.

The most useful information about the area on the web I found on monolake.org.

For information about how to get to the interesting spots in the Mono Lake Basin you can also stop by at the "Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area Visitor Center". Even though it is closed in the winter time, there are useful maps and information signs to help you get around and find the interesting places to visit in the Mono Lake Basin.

I walked around the South Tufa Area including the Navy Beach, did a short hike up the Panum Crater (a mix of the Plug and Rim Trail -> see my track), looked around Lee Vining and saw a beautiful sunset at the old marina. Usually there is snow in this area in the winter time. However, having a very extreme drought in California this and last year, no snow and even T-Shirt temperatures is what I encountered on this day.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Geodaten
 19205.gpx South Tufa and Navy Beach
 19207.gpx Panum Crater

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T2
30 Jul 11
Panum Crater · pika8x14
T2
8 Dez 13
Wanderungen am Mono Lake · Delta
T1
30 Jul 11
Mono Lake · pika8x14
T1
18 Jun 11
Mono Lake · ale84

Kommentare (6)

Kommentar hinzufügen

alpstein hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 21. Januar 2014 um 19:40
fantastic pictures!

thanks
alpstein

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 22. Januar 2014 um 00:27
Thanks! fantastic area.
Greetings, 360

Delta Pro hat gesagt: Wow!
Gesendet am 21. Januar 2014 um 19:56
Feels like being there again.
However, compared to one months ago it looks like summer.
cheers, Delta

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:Wow!
Gesendet am 22. Januar 2014 um 00:30
It didn't just look like summer, it felt like it too. Except at night - 15 Fahrenheit is not really cosy and warm...
Cheers back, 360

silberhorn hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 22. Januar 2014 um 00:07
Es ist ein Terminal-See, der keinen Ausgang hat. Das fehlen einer solchen Steckdose...

Herrliche Google Übersetzung:-) :-) :-)!

LG, maria

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 22. Januar 2014 um 00:32
Ciao Maria,

Tja "google translate" ist manchmal etwas Glücksache! Allerdings hat es in diesem Fall vollkommen recht, der Mono Lake hat tatsächlich keine Steckdose :-)

Gruss, 360

Kommentar hinzufügen»