Rose Knob Peak - Not your average mid April day in California*

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 17. April 2017 um 23:12.

Region: Welt » United States » Nevada
Tour Datum:14 April 2017
Ski Schwierigkeit: ZS-
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-NV 
Aufstieg: 700 m
Abstieg: 700 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:North end of Jeniffer St in Incline Village NV, a few parking possibilities

The precipitation of the storm on the days before this tour shattered the all-time high of the wettest water year on record in the Northern Sierra Nevada. The new record is now at 89.7 inches of water (2.24 m)... and growing & the current snow pack is about twice of the historic average!
For my tour toady, I actually had different plans. I intended to ski a west facing slope, because I was afraid the California sun would heat up other expositions too early in the morning and the foot of fresh powder would already be slushy too soon. Therefore, I declared Herlan Peak on the east shore of Lake Tahoe as my goal for the day. However, when I arrived at the parking lot at the base of that mountain, I was afraid of possible consequences of the signs: "20 minutes parking only, strictly enforced".
Since I was in this area two weeks ago already, but due to extremely unpleasant conditions (=very strong winds), failed to get to the top of Rose Knob Peak, I quickly changed my plans and declared Rose Knob Peak as my goal again, knowing that it's south facing slopes might not be the "powder fun" I had planned for today.

In order to get to my starting point, the top of Jennifer Street in Incline Village, I actually have to put on the chains on my tires, because the street is still covered with a lot of snow and my 2WD car is not really meant for these steep, icy streets. By the time I'm putting on my skis and start my tour it's 9:30 AM already and I have no hope any more, that I will be able to enjoy powdery slopes, in particular because I'm already only wearing my T-Shirt now. However, despite all my doubts, the snow is still perfectly fluffy. A handful of people seem to have already gone up the mountain and I can easily follow their tracks. Most of the skiers seemed to have only gone up to an altitude of about 8800 feet and then turned around there. I continue all the way to the top of Rose Knob Peak via it's south flank. The temperature here is actually quite frigid, way below freezing point and the snow loaded wind from the last storm made the trees look arctic.

The view on top is extremely good, because this is the first major peak coming from the lake. Being 1000m above the lake level allows to overlook all of Lake Tahoe and it's surrounding mountains and guarantees for stunning views on a clear day like this. Skiing down the south slopes back to the car is surprisingly pleasant, in particular the southeast facing glades below 8800 ft. Only the very last stretch back to the car was somewhat slushy, every thing else a wonderful "winter" dream :-)

* Technically my tour today was not in California but slightly east of the state line in Nevada.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (4)

Kommentar hinzufügen

Zaza hat gesagt: Alternative views
Gesendet am 18. April 2017 um 08:07
Looks gorgeous! Seems you're having an outstanding winter over there...

Best, zaza

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:Alternative views
Gesendet am 18. April 2017 um 14:23
Yes, not just outstanding, it's the all-time record - or greatest ever ;-)
I guess we saw the two ends of the extremes now, the first 3 years the extreme drought and now this...

Greeting from the wild west,

Zaza hat gesagt: RE:Alternative views
Gesendet am 18. April 2017 um 14:58
Well, I guess the potus must have asked for this kind of winter in order to keep you over there ;-)

Best, zaza

360 Pro hat gesagt: RE:Alternative views
Gesendet am 18. April 2017 um 17:12
No credits to the potus... I have people in my network who pray for things like this. And now they pray for the precipitation to stop and make California sunny again :-)

Kommentar hinzufügen»