Snowshoe hike to Pischahorn (2980 m)

Published by Roald Pro , 31 March 2017, 22h05.

Region: World » Switzerland » Grisons » Davos
Date of the hike:31 March 2017
Hiking grading: T3 - Difficult Mountain hike
Snowshoe grading: WT3 - Demanding snowshoe hike
Waypoints:
Geo-Tags: Flüela-Gruppe   CH-GR 
Time: 6:15
Height gain: 1250 m 4100 ft.
Height loss: 1250 m 4100 ft.
Access to start point:By car to the Pischa aerial cable car valley station (parking free of charge).

Pischahorn (2980 m) is a mountain peak very close to Davos, and easily accessible from the Flüela valley.

I started my hike at 8:00 in the morning at the parking lot for the Pischa aerial cable car. First I hiked straight up the rather steep hill through the forest. There was hardly any snow left, so the snowshoes remained tied to my backpack. Just before the forest line, the gaiters proved useful where the few spots of snow were of mixed quality.

Above the forest line, the snow was hard frozen, and easy to walk on just with the hiking boots. Therefore I only mounted the snowshoes after passing the Pischa aerial cable car mountain station.

With the snowshoes, it was a bit tricky to descend and traverse into the area called "Verborgen Pischa". For the skiers it is a bit easier. The further ascent through "Verborgen Pischa" went through a beautiful and peaceful winter landscape.

On my route, the steepest part of the ascent was between elevation 2800 and 2900 m. But it was easily manageable with my alpine snowshoes.

The view from the summit was magnificent, with blue skies and only a few thin clouds. But it was quite cold and windy, so I did not have my lunch break at the summit. I also did not sign in to the summit book; it could have been blown away if I had tried doing so.

During the descent the snow was still hard frozen above 2700 m elevation. Below that it became increasingly soft due to the sun exposure and higher temperatures. When I got back at the parking lot, the thermometer showed 15°C.

In total, I counted about 15 people who went on ski tours to Pischahorn today.

Equipment:
- Alpine snowshoes
- Hiking sticks
- Gaiters

Total tour distance: 11 km
Please attached GPS track for more details.

Hike partners: Roald

Minimap
0Km
Click to draw, click on the last point to end drawing

Gallery

Slideshow Open in a new window · Open in this window

Post a comment»