Norse Peak

Publiziert von Josh Lewis , 2. Dezember 2008 um 09:23.

Region: Welt » United States » Washington
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Zeitbedarf: 6:00

I've been waiting all week for our next hike, which was supposed to be Jolly Mountain, but things change. Again I could'nt sleep well and only had 4-5 hours of sleep, slightly better than last time. Before the trip I was crossing my fingers about going because not only was the weather looking bad, but I would have to get a ride to the South were we would meet up. My mom would be too tired to get up at 5:30ish and Michael was sick the night before, but fortunatly my brother got better by morning. I grabbed all my gear and hurried out the door. Later at 7:00 A.M. I met up with EastKing and some other guy (sorry I forgot your name). The other guy that was with us drove us to the place, which we decided on Jolly, but as we were driving he had missed the turn and he said well now were doing Norse. He could have easily went back, and I asked him "You did that on purpose did'nt you" in a joking way, but he said "I'll leave that one unanswered"... because he was ealier talking about how he wanted to do Norse, but I truely believe that it was unintentional. As we were driving Rainier came into view through the clouds, which to me was amazing because it was foggy and cloudy and now new hopes for clearings came to mind. I really thought it was going to be stormy and windy, but my luck was in! As we drove it cleared up more and more until it was nearly clear, exept high altitude clouds.

Fogginess

Rainier on the way
Fogginess

Rainier on the way

Zoomed in a bit more

Zoomed in a bit more

Mist Mountains

Misty Forest

As it cleares up
Misty Forest

As it cleares up

We at first went to the wrong parking spot, but EastKing mentioned it being above and found it. We started the hike at a some what fast pace, and at the time I'm a bit out of shape, so I personally began to be tired very quick. "Oh no I thought to my self" If I'm this tired now, I'm in trouble when it comes summit time. Fortunatly EastKing decided to let me make the pace, and is very patient. The fog goes away with very little clouds as we go up. Also it gets easier, and the trail clears out to a view of Crystal Mountain, and a few others, and I was also suprised to see how green the trees were. The summit of Rainier startes coming into view, and wow is she beautiful! I can't wait to climb it, and those clouds that keep being produced by the snow, it's such an incredible site, especially because we had one of the best views as we went up. As we went up, I could'nt help but stare at Rainier's wonders, how big it was, how snowy it was, how glacier covered it was, and it's incredible beauty put me in a sorta trance, I just wanted to go there so bad, and the thought of having to wait over half a year... not often am I impatient, but a mountain like that keeps me dreaming. The trails later becomes what feels almost flat, and it's as if they are trying to make it longer, which I thought they should perhap fix this. Not that It's super tiring or anything but it gets old hiking on flatish like stuff. Not that I don't like the gentle slopes either, but you know, they could have made it a bit more terrain feeling to the trail at this part. My friend Mark like scrables and some day climbs, but seems almost as if he does'nt like hiking, and me personally I like it all! Hiking you get the feel of nature, and scrambling and climbing you get the thill and great views. At least I got to have a nice break and take a few bird shots before our summit ridge.

View though the Trees

Green Trees
View though the Trees

Green Trees

Crystal Mountain Panorama

A misty way to start out the hike

Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain Panorama

A misty way to start out the hike

Crystal Mountain

Summit of Rainier Peaking up

More Greenary
Summit of Rainier Peaking up

More Greenary

Clouds starting to form

Rainier's Summit
Clouds starting to form

Rainier's Summit

Blueish Version of Summit

Summit Forming Cloud

I know, lots of Rainier Photos
Blueish Version of Summit

Summit Forming Cloud

I know, lots of Rainier Photos

Summit Again

Rainier in a storm

The Spire of Little Tahoma
Summit Again

Rainier in a storm

The Spire of Little Tahoma

Rainier Clearing Up

About to Fly Away
Rainier Clearing Up

About to Fly Away

The View through the Trees

Mount Adams

Little Tahoma and above
The View through the Trees

Mount Adams

Little Tahoma and above

Hiking the Ridge to the summit

Hiking the Ridge to the summit

The summit ridge soon came into view, which was exiting, and me and EastKing went on top which was off the trail while the other guy took the trail which seemd kinda not as good when it comes to views. On the last part of the ridge I run down the false summit and up and hike up to the top as fast as I could, because at this point I very much wanted to get to the top, plus I did this for the thrill. I was to tired to yell in exitement  at the summit becuase I was very much out of breathe. But the view was wonderful, with what felt like endless mountains. But this dos'nt compare with Magellan's hike which was Tiger Mountain, wow, he must have had such an incredible experience.  lol.gif  We could see most of Rainier down the East Side with its valley, and Mount Adams, a little bit of St. Helens, distantly Moun Hood, and many others with Stuart. Many of them were distant, but it still had it's awesomeness to it, like how Mount Adams bottom part was glowing, and Rainier still making Lenticular Clouds and it was crazy how it would get barried in clouds and reopen up. After eating and taking lots of photos and making a few video's after a hour or so we started heading down.

Mount Adams

Mount Adams

Looking North

The Northern Ridge
Looking North

The Northern Ridge

Mount Rainier looin nice!

Looking Towards Mount Adams

Mount Adams with a glowing bottom
Mount Rainier looin nice!

Looking Towards Mount Adams

Mount Adams with a glowing bottom