Zebra Slot

Publiziert von lexx , 31. Oktober 2008 um 23:04.

Region: Welt » United States » Utah
Tour Datum:28 Oktober 2008
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Zeitbedarf: 3:30
Aufstieg: 100 m
Abstieg: 100 m
Strecke:Cattleguard at the 'Hole-in-the-rock' road - Halfway Hollow - Harris Wash - Zebra Slot
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:From Escalante drive 4 km east on Highway 12 and then 12.5 km down the "Hole-in-the-rock road" to the cattleguard, where the trail starts
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:Escalante: Several Motels availiable
Kartennummer:USGS 7.5 minute squads: Tenmile Flat

The Zebra Slot is one of the nicest canyons in the world because of its unique pink zebra-pattern. One thing that makes it additionally special is that the canyon is not marked on any topo or hiker map I've seen and there is no marked route to it. Having that said, it is definitely time to write a hike report about it...

Route description:
From the cattle guard, walk east cross-country a short distance until you reach a small wash (Halfway Hollow). Follow the sandy wash bottom approximately 3.2km to Harris Wash. The Harris Wash is really huge and don't mistake it with a smaller wash coming from the right. Now go the Harris Wash upstream (left) approximately 600m, stay right. A sandy side drainage will appear on the right side. Follow this drainage 500m in deep sand and the Zebra Slot will be visible ahead on the left as a small opening. The rest I do not have to describe, it is just breathtaking to be in the Zebra Slot and you may think to be on another planet.

Difficulty:
The hike is overall 10km (incl. return) and techically not difficult, except if you want to go further into the slot, that requires some stemming and climbing. Please note that the slot is sometimes extremely tight (40cm) and it is difficult to squeeze through.

See all the picture here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexlichtenberger/

Tourengänger: lexx

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Geodaten
 289.kmz GPS_WayToZebraSlot

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (3)

Kommentar hinzufügen

MicheleK hat gesagt: cool slot
Gesendet am 31. Oktober 2008 um 23:41
this is amazing - are you saying there is a 5 km slot which is < 1m wide ? how deep is it ? could we say it's the desert version of a giant glacier crevasse ? :-))

amazing nature...

kind regards.
Michele

lexx hat gesagt: RE:cool slot
Gesendet am 1. November 2008 um 05:17
Hi Michele,
The slot itself is actually only around 150m long, the 5km refers to the distance you need to hike there. Depth is around 20m. It really is a desert version of a glacier ceravasse! but don't ask me how it geologically originated;-)
Regards, Alex

MicheleK hat gesagt: RE:cool slot
Gesendet am 19. Januar 2011 um 00:31
I just watched 127h the movie... and I am planning to perhaps visit utah this year.... really cool stuff

Kommentar hinzufügen»