Snowshoe hike to Little Round Top and a lot of spring feelings at the American River

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 15. Februar 2015 um 20:04.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum:13 Februar 2015
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Schneeshuhtouren Schwierigkeit: WT2 - Schneeschuhwanderung
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-CA 
Aufstieg: 650 m
Abstieg: 650 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:State Route 88 (SR 88) aka Carson Pass Highway to Caples Lake, several turnouts to park

After a long abstinence from the mountains (for several reasons), I finally was able to get back to the beloved mountains. The California Sierras haven't gotten a lot of snow yet this winter, but with a big storm passing by last week I was hoping for enough of the white stuff to take my snowshoes out before it's summer again here. Due to the unknown state of my fitness I chose a short and easy goal: Little Round Top from Caples Lake. Since I ended up being much faster than expected and home way earlier than planned, there was plenty of time to also enjoy the early spring down in the Central Valley and go for a walk along the American River.

I'm not quite sure if I'm able to park the car somewhere at Caples Lake, but find a turnout pretty much at the northern most point of Caples Lake. I then first walk east along Highway 88 for a few hundred yards to the next intersection where I take a left towards maintenance buildings. Shortly before those buildings there's a small road on the right with a sign "Schneider Camp Trailhead, Kirkwood Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe". I didn't know about these maintained trails here but head this way. However, the next sign says "Trail Pass Required", so I quickly know I don't want to go on these maintained trails. Instead I head west up to the obvious ridge which leads leads north towards P. 9422.

The snow pack on the west facing slopes is surprisingly good and for a moment I regret not taking my skis along but having to walk in my snowshoes. This situation changes soon after reaching the first little ridge, where it's very clear that there isn't even remotely enough snow for skis for this outing. In fact for the walk from here all the way to the summit of Little Round Top, I take my snowshoes off and don't even need them any more. My hike strictly follows the ridgeline, sometimes I chose to walk north of it in the snow, sometimes south of it where it's mostly snow free. I find the best view not being the summit of Little Round Top but P. 9422, situated NE of Caples Lake with a very nice view to Caples Lake, the surrounding mountains, and on the northern side to Lake Tahoe and its mountains.

I reach the highest point of Little Round Top after about 3 hours and I take a long break, enjoy the sun and the very quiet and remote location. For my way down I then chose the south face of Little Round Top. To my surprise there's actually (almost) enough snow to put on my snowshoes on and I walk towards "Schneider Camp". Close to Corral, I cross the maintained trail but instead of following it back to the trailhead, I walk in more or less a straight line pretty much south in order to get back to the car.

Since I am back home much earlier than expected, I decide to go for another short walk to a park close-by and walk along the American River and enjoy the early spring in Northern California (see track for details). 

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (1)

Kommentar hinzufügen

silberhorn hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 17. Februar 2015 um 10:38
Liebe Gruess, maria

Kommentar hinzufügen»