Castle Crag south ridge

Publiziert von Alpin_Rise , 18. August 2015 um 10:04.

Region: Welt » United States » California
Tour Datum: 1 Juli 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T5- - anspruchsvolles Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: III (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA 
Aufstieg: 700 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:drive to Castle Crags State Park's camping
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:State Park's camping

Right after the fast track up Mt. Shasta I headed for my next goal. Due to tired legs and some driving that day I was forced to choose a small goal: Castle Crags. Well visible from Shasta Summit, I was litterally drawn down to these fantastic grantie spires.
The only bad thing about was the unbearable heat down in the valley, even at nighttime it didn't get any cooler. In these conditons the famous climbs up "the Ogre" are no fun;  

From Ice to Rock: Scrambling on a "new" Route up to Castle Crag 

Right at the base of Castle Crag there's the State Park's camping which offers a good, but a little bit noisy night - Interstate 5 nearby. 
The castle crags parking is a little bit higher than the camping, close to the "Vista Point". There you start on a good, marked path, a little bit off the trail there's a dwell called Indian springs offering drinking water. The trail gets more rocky and there's a tempting ridge nearby offering some nice scrambling opportunities.
Arriving at the base of Castle Dome, I head for the tempting, tough not very prominent south ridge. It offers nice, easy climbing in the 5.2/5.3 range; a small chimney in the middle part is the crux section.
On the summit plateau I met some other mountaineers, coming up the normal route. This ascend offers nice 3th class scrambling with some steps in the 4th degree on slabs. Once down, I discovers some rock pinaccles nearby, but for bigger summits it's definitely too hot an me beeing to tired...

For Climbing, Castle Crag would be a perfect Destination in Spring or Fall - I'll definitely return and climb the famous "Cosmic Wall" 5.6 on Mt. Hubris (The Ogre) - are you in, 360?

Tourengänger: Alpin_Rise

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»