Mali i Trebeshines

Publiziert von detlefpalm , 24. April 2014 um 14:51.

Region: Welt » Albanien
Tour Datum:13 April 2014
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T2 - Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: AL 
Zeitbedarf: 5:00
Aufstieg: 1361 m
Strecke:5.8 kilometer one way
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:Katundishte Village - a 4WD is required for the last kilometer. Alternatively, wlak it.

Mali i Trebeshinës (or Trebeshina Mountain) is the big brother of Shendellisë. Trebeshina is more than 100 meters higher. While Shendellisë has a narrow ridgeline, Trebeshinë is rather broad and long. Its mass makes it the ideal home to probably thousands of sheep in summer time (including their dogs), and that is why we choose to hike it during spring, when the summit area is still covered in snow. 

To say it upfront: in summer you may manage to find an IFA truck or old 4WD that may take you up to another lower summit, which has some abandoned military buildings. It would be a long drive (and presumably an even longer walk if you follow those tracks). So do not expect a lofty summit where you will test your climbing skills or nerve. Having said this, we consider Trebeshinë a very worthwhile and interesting hike. 

Foreigners are likely to have heard more about the Trebeshina mineral water than the mountain as a hiking destination. Many Albanian friends know that it is a mountain close to Kelcyre, but little more. The mountain is indeed a bit elusive, as it is off the main travel routes. The best views of Trebeshinë are to be had when driving from Buz (or Berat) to Kelcyre, which is not a drive you want to do every day.

Maps or written information about the actual location of the summit are very sketchy. Estimates about its altitude vary widely. The AlbInfo map shows two summits, and gives the elevation of the northern point 1902 Meter (this is the place with the abandoned buildings). To all other accounts, including ours, the true summit is south of it, and at least 1912 meter high. If you really want to find out, you can easily walk from one to the other, but it will take a while.

The views from Trebeshinë (and along the trail) are outstanding - mainly across towards Tomorri, Ostrovice Mountain, Gramos in the distance, the Tymfy mountains in Greece, Nemercke and Cajupi. Once on top, you look across the valley towards Shendellise and - weather permitting - to Kendervices and Mali i Gribes.

From the trailhead in Katundishte, follow the road (or  ask permission to take a shortcut through the private property of a farmhouse) towards a house about 100 meter up.  

The summit is not marked, though there are some remnants of a foundation of a pole or antenna. A few hundred meters on to the north is a secondary summit with a big cairn (stoneman), but it is lower. 

We chose a slightly different path for our return, taking advantage of the snow. There are several shepherd trails that can be taken.

Tourengänger: detlefpalm

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Geodaten
 20282.kml Mali i Trebeshines
 20283.kml Drive to Katundishte, the trailhead of Mali i Trebeshines

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T2
15 Feb 14
Mali i Shendellise · detlefpalm