From Velës to Velës

Publiziert von detlefpalm , 12. Mai 2013 um 21:39.

Region: Welt » Albanien
Tour Datum:27 April 2013
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T3 - anspruchsvolles Bergwandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: AL 
Zeitbedarf: 5:30
Aufstieg: 1106 m
Abstieg: 93 m
Strecke:7.25 kilometer one way
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:from Milot, betweem Tirana and Lezhë

We found a trail from Rrëja e Velës to the main summit of Mali i Velës, the widely visible mountain behind Lezha town. We had climbed Mali i Velës before, from the village of Kalumet, from where a path leads to the weatherstation on the northern end of the main Velës Ridge (see separate trail). Then there was no time to continue to the main (southern) summit. Now we got serious about it.

To cut a long story and a long hike short, we did find a trail - but it it remains a tough hike. The ridge south of the main summit is 2.8 kilometer long, and for the most part is of karstic rock which can make for uncomfortable and slow hiking. To reach the ridge, you have to hike for 4.5 kilometer through terrain that is not always straightforward. The return hike makes for a total of 14.6 kilometer with a total of 1200 meter elevation gain and loss.

The reward is great. Velës mountain is standing by itself, close to the Adriatic Sea, and affords views in all directions. Though we hit a rather hazy day, we could see Rumoja Mountain in Montenegro, the snow covered Albanian Alps, Munellë Mountain, Gallicia near Kukes, the Crown of Lure, Mali i Dejes, Mali i Snojt, Mali me Gropa, and the "front range" near Tirana (Dajti Mountain, Kruja Mountain etc).

For those seeking variety, you may ascend by a shorter bushwhack to the main ridge. The bushwhack is steep (more than 60% in spots) and exhausting, though not exposed. The pleasure to emerge on the summit ridge free of vegetation is enormous.

There is very little water, if any, on Velës mountain and the hiking routes. Since you start close to sea level, the mountain can get very hot in the summer, so an early start is advised; or better do hike during the cooler season.

For more information, visit http://www.palmtreeproduction.com/Hikes%20and%20Climbs/Albania%20Climbs/veles%20from%20veles/Veles%20summit%20gallery.html 

For mnor information, visit 

Tourengänger: detlefpalm

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Geodaten
 15852.kml From Velës to Velës
 15855.kml

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

T3
30 Mär 14