34 km wandering around London

Publiziert von Sky , 24. März 2012 um 10:49.

Region: Welt » United Kindom » England
Tour Datum:21 März 2012
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T1 - Wandern
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: GB 
Zeitbedarf: 10:00

Being in Southern England for work, I took the chance to visit London, with a 2 hour train journey.

This trip to London wasn’t planned, so I didn’t have any map with myself and I decided not to buy one, in order to be not influenced by that in my discovering of the town. I just took one underground map and had my non-cartographic GPS. Lots of map plates around helped me a lot !

As in my previous trip to London, I never stopped for visiting museums or churches. That’s my way of visiting towns ! Just walking and taking photos. My new compact digital camera made things much easier !

Coming from Waterloo Station, I started walking westwards, in order to perform a complete west-east crossing of London town. Once I was around Royal Albert Hall, I began to move eastwards. Eventually, around British museum I decide to explore Camden Town, so I point to the North (actually North-West.. orienteering is not so easy with a schematic underground map !). Then I moved again southwards, trying to reach Piccadilly Circus, which I missed going along Oxford Street. Once there, I continued walking towards the City. There, my plan was to pass through Tower Bridge, but, when I arrived on Thames, I realized I went wrong : Tower Bridge was more eastwards, I was on London Bridge ! Don’t worry ! Evening lights were dimming, so I decided to start coming back. Finally, just to take the train I planned, I took the underground ! That was not in my intentions, I wanted to explore London “by fair means” (!) but then I realized undergrounds are a part of London architecture, so it was worth visiting them ! So, at the end, after a 10 hour walking, I was back to Waterloo Station !

After my previous visit to London I didn’t liked it so much, at least, not as much as most people do, so I decided to try to look it again with new eyes and London revealed to me as a beautiful mixture of styles – ancient monuments, churches with their severe Gothic architecture, modern and extravagant skyscrapers, multicultural and multicoloured neighbourhoods, hidden and huge parks, sequences of identical Victorian houses. That’s it !

The trip :

Waterloo Bridge – the Strand – Trafalgar Square – St. James Park – Parliament Square – Victoria Station – Knightsbridge – Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park – Oxford Street – the British Museum – Kings Cross – Camden Town – Regent Street – Piccadilly Circus – St. Paul – the City – London Bridge – Blackfriars.

Tourengänger: Sky

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentare (4)

Kommentar hinzufügen

tapio hat gesagt: 34 km wandering
Gesendet am 24. März 2012 um 11:13
Well done, Sky! ...and congratulations for the 34's!

The pictures, especially those about Camden Town, bring me back in time... and not few years ago!

Was it because of your lack of ice-axe (I guess, at least), in order not to feel yourself too lonely (:-)), that you were "wearing" even in a big city a GPS device???

Greets, Fabio

Sky hat gesagt: RE:34 km wandering
Gesendet am 24. März 2012 um 20:18
Thanks ! Yes, I've returned to my old passion.. flat long
ways !
I liked Camden Town.. so full of colours and mixture of cultures !
See you !
P.S. Well, actually GPS helped me to take track of the places I visited !

dulac hat gesagt: Bright sun ...
Gesendet am 25. März 2012 um 23:45
and no fog - are you sure that this was really London? ;-)

And then, only a couple of days later, on top of Pizzo Rotondo, what a contrast!

Cari saluti

dulac

Sky hat gesagt: RE:Bright sun ...
Gesendet am 26. März 2012 um 10:30
Yes, it was !! Beautiful day..
And then, back to Alps :)
Ciao, Luca

Kommentar hinzufügen»