Piz Surgonda (3195 m) & Tschima da Flix (3301 m) - ski tour from La Veduta

Publiziert von Roald , 31. März 2019 um 14:28.

Region: Welt » Schweiz » Graubünden » Oberhalbstein
Tour Datum:30 März 2019
Ski Schwierigkeit: WS+
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: CH-GR 
Zeitbedarf: 8:30
Aufstieg: 1600 m
Abstieg: 1600 m
Strecke:See waypoints and GPS track
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:By car to La Veduta on the Julier pass road. Designated parking area exactly where the (summer) trail to Fuorcla d'Agnel starts.
Unterkunftmöglichkeiten:Hotel Solaria in Bivio.

Start of this ski tour near La Veduta at the Julier pass road at 6:15 AM (after first driving for two hours to get there...). On the way to Piz Surgonda, I passed on the east side of Corn Alv. I was briefly considering hiking on foot to the main summit of Corn Alv, but it looked like it would be quite a struggle, so I did not try it. For the ascent in the SW flank of Piz Surgonda I mounted the ski crampons, but it would probably have been fine without. After 3 hours ascent I reached the summit of Piz Surgonda. The view was magnificent!

Despite the cold wind, I spent about 30 min at the summit of Piz Surgonda while trying to decide where to go next. Meanwhile a few other skiers arrived. Two of them descended on foot on the west ridge, in order to ski down across the glacier on the north side. I followed their example, and descended on foot with the skis on my backpack. The descent on foot was quite easy, but there were a few icy spots, so caution was needed. Next, I skied down towards Fuorcla Traunter Ovas. On the glacier, there was still plenty of (packed) powder snow!

I chose Tschima da Flix as the next target, so I skied down to Vadret d'Agnel, and put on the skins for the second ascent of the day. At Fuorcla da Flix I mounted the ski crampons, but others ascended to Tschima da Flix without. At least I did not have to slide backwards all the time. I reached the western summit of Tschima da Flix shortly after noon. There were a few others skiers there, some on the way to the Tschima da Flix main summit, and others planning to ski down on Vadret Calderas. It was a bit windy and cold, so I chose to have my lunch later. But I still spent nearly 30 min at the top, taking pictures, and getting ready to ski down. As usual, skiing down from Tschima da Flix to Fuorcla da Flix was not great. The snow was too hard and rough. But down from Fuorcla da Flix in easterly direction the snow was great (mostly packed powder). On Vadret d'Agnel I had a lunch break of about 30 min, before I ascended to Fuorcla d'Agnel.

Skiing down from Fuorcla d'Agnel to the Julier pass road was nice, with a little bit of soft and melted snow on the surface. But in the lower part there were already so many tracks that it was a little bit icy. After all, Val d'Agnel is quite popular with backcountry skiers.

Remarks:
1. Please see the attached GPS track for more details on the route.
2. The avalanche risk was 1-low for dry snow avalanches, and 2-moderate for wet snow avalanches on east, south, and west facing steeper slopes during the course of the day.
3. I brought an ice axe and crampons (for the boots) with me, but once more I didn't use this equipment.
4. The total time of the ski tour includes 3 x 30 min breaks.

Tourengänger: Roald
Communities: Skitouren

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

WT3 WS
23 Mär 19
Piz d'Agnel (3204 m) · Francesco
WS WS+
WS+