Relay - and Incline Peak - a very scenic backcountry ski tour

Publiziert von 360 Pro , 30. April 2018 um 20:12.

Region: Welt » United States » Nevada
Tour Datum:20 April 2018
Ski Schwierigkeit: WS+
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: USA   US-NV 
Aufstieg: 850 m
Abstieg: 850 m
Zufahrt zum Ausgangspunkt:One of two small pull-outs on the northwest side of Nevada Highway 431, located about 6 miles from the roundabout at Highway 28 in Incline Village

Same setup as *last week with the difference that I wanted to ski a little more. Almost the same start, just "the other" pull-out on Highway 431 at Incline Lake. My goal today was Relay Peak via the west ridge, ski down to Ginny Lake, skin up to Incline Peak and then back to the car via the same route as last week to Incline Lake. All went as planned with some minor exceptions.

From the pull-out I ski the short way down to the Incline Lake (with skins on skis already) and then go to the north end of the lake from where I follow the the little valley of Third Creek up to an altitude of approximately 8900 ft. (Notice: the gps track follows the east side of the creek from 8600 to 8900 ft, but it's better to completely stay on the west side). From here I get to the west ridge of Relay Peak by bypassing the steep and rocky outcrop on the left (west) side and then strictly follow the west ridge to the false summit and last the short way along the south ridge to the true summit.

After a short break, I ski back to the false summit and from there drop into the south glades and ski down to Ginny Lake. A few inches of powder from a recent storm are getting sticky, but are still very nice to ski. At Ginny Lake I put the skins back onto my skis and start my ascent to Incline Peak. Unfortunately the snow now is very wet and sticky and my skins haven't seen any cleaning or waxing in almost 6 years. Therefore, huge amounts of snow clump up under my skins. Also, I didn't bring any wax with me to stop the glopping issue... So my workout for the 600 ft of altitude gain is way harder than expected. Close to the top I almost give up, because I start getting cramps from carrying the extra pounds of snow up the mountain, but after another break I make it anyway.

After a long break and a nice chat with a local I then ski down the north side and further down the east glades to the lake and from there walk back to the car.

Tourengänger: 360

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»