Benmore + Achill Head

Publiziert von Stijn , 8. Juni 2016 um 22:57.

Region: Welt » Irland » County Mayo
Tour Datum:29 Mai 2016
Wandern Schwierigkeit: T4+ - Alpinwandern
Klettern Schwierigkeit: I (UIAA-Skala)
Wegpunkte:
Geo-Tags: IRL 
Zeitbedarf: 4:15
Aufstieg: 850 m
Abstieg: 850 m

Achill Head, at approximately 90m above sea level, might seem like a laughable goal for a hike to the naive Swiss 4000m-bagger. But the appeal of this route lies exactly in the lack of altitude. Being directly surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean on both sides, the ridge leading up to Achill Head is one of the most continuously stunning hikes that I've ever done.

From the upper car park at Keem, I hike up to the abandoned building on P. 198 (referring to the OSI Discovery Series map 30, which can be bought from the petrol station between Achill Sound and Keel). From here, the stunning Benmore ridge stretches along the Atlantic Ocean for about 5 km up to the end of the peninsula at Achill Head. There are several summits along the ridge, the highest at 332m above sea level. The higher part of the ridge is without any technical difficulties, but with spectacular views down the sea cliffs and across to Croaghaun.

The route suddenly gets a little more challenging on the north-west ridge of P. 266, where the use of your hands is required for the first time. The crux of the route is then the west ridge of P. 225. There is some superb scrambling here directly along the ridge (T4+, I), but the best line is hard to see from above, so you might choose to leave the scrambling for the way back. The alternative is a vague path through steep grass in the south face, which is slightly easier, but only in dry conditions (or you might end up doing a 200m vertical side down into the raging sea). The final 600m to Achill Head is on easier grassy terrain again. There is a cairn at the end of the peninsula at an altitude of about 90m above sea level. You can choose to scramble down a little further, giving great views down to some sea stacks, but it does not seem advisable to try to climb down all the way to the shoreline.

The return is along the same route (now is the best time to really enjoy the scrambling on the west ridge of P. 225!) at least until P. 266. From here you can choose to traverse to the saddle between Benmore and Croaghaun, with the two little tarns. In wet conditions, it might be preferable to avoid this boggy area and return along the Benmore ridge.

I haven't encountered a single other hiker all day, even though it's a sunny Sunday. On the other hand, the beautiful beach at Keem is pretty busy on my return. I can't resist a quick dive in the water (pretty cold at 13°C!) to freshen up.

Tourengänger: Stijn
Communities: English

Minimap
0Km
Klicke um zu zeichnen. Klicke auf den letzten Punkt um das Zeichnen zu beenden

Galerie

In einem neuen Fenster öffnen · Im gleichen Fenster öffnen

Kommentar hinzufügen»