FAQ improvement, looking for translators - UPDATE

Publiziert von Anna, 30. September 2010 um 20:39. Diese Seite wurde 439 mal angezeigt.

UPDATE

English and German (thanks Freeman for the help) versions are now online. It's still missing Dante's language (I will probably take care of it) and French (coming later thanks to Philippe Noth).
Maybe now it will be easier to formulate some tips.

Everybody is invited to read the new FAQ, probably there is something you don't know.

Buna saira hikrs,

I've realized that our FAQ is a little outdated: some features don't exist anymore, some others work now differently than reported and the new ones are not listed at all.

As a first step to put some order in this mess, I did a list of the questions that people have asked us in the last months.

Below you find this list.
If you think that something is missing, do not hesitate to leave a comment.
It would be great if you can help correcting the English text and translating (expecially in German).

How can I modify an existing waypoint?
Hikr->Map-> Tools -> Waypoints editor

May I delete a waypoint?
No, you cant. Write us a pm or an email.

Where do I add a waypoint to my report?
Add or edit report -> Waypoints (on the right side of the page)

Is a short report a private report?
No, it isn't.

What's a short report?
A short report will appear only on your personal pages. It doesn’t appear on hikr.org main page and other shared pages (regions, waypoints, etc.) It is useful for non-informative reports, for example reports, where you don’t remember much useful information.

Can I choose to display or not my short reports on my homepage?
Yes, go to Preferences -> General Preferences

I've published a report by error. Can I put it back into draft status?
No, you cant.

I've saved a report as draft. Where can I find the list of my drafts?
At the top of your homepage.

I wanna write my report together with some participants. How can I do this?
Add the draft for the report, using “Add hike report” link, add the participants, select between the options “Participants can modify reports/ add photos” and “Participants can add photos”.

How can I add a video to my report?
Report page, below the report title, follow the link “Link video”

How do I submit a report/photo to a community?
In order to submit a report or a photo to a community, you have to be a member of the community. If you are still not a member of the community, go on the community homepage and click on the button “Join this community”. Then, go on the page of the report or the page of the photo and click on the button “Post to community”.

How do I insert a link, photo, SBB code, etc into a report, a post or a comment? What are hikr-codes?
Hikr codes are a series of shortcuts that allow to add various links and images in the text, without knowing HTML. Moreover, it is possible to give a SBB or PostAuto stop using a particular easy code, that produces a link opening the time plan of SBB.
The complete list of hikr-codes is here: www.hikr.org/post3052.html

How do I add a participant to my report?
Add or edit report -> Hike partners (on the right side of the page)

How can I choose my userpic?
Choose one of your photos and on the photo page, click on “Add as userpic” in the bottom of the page.

How can I customize the layout of my homepage?
Your homepage->Edit link on the top

Where are the setting for my homepage?
www.hikr.org/edit_usertemplate.php

What's MyHikr and how can I set it up?
MyHikr
is a fuction that allows you to see on the front page new publications only in your preferred regions, communities and from your favorite users.
T
here is a button "MyHikr" on the first page. If you click this button you will see a list of recent reports only from those people, regions and communities that you have in your "MyHikr". You can add new stuff to your MyHikr from the page of the region, community or user. Just click the "Add to MyHikr" button there (it's on the right side of the page). You can manage all your MyHikr under Preferences -> News and MyHikr.
You can set MyHikr or standard list of new publications as your default view by using the "Set as default view" link just under the My Hikr button on the main page.

What are E-Mail notifications and how can I set them up?
E-Mail notifications work like MyHikr and you can manage them in the same interface.

I wanna change my password.
Preferences -> Change password

I wanna change my email.
Preferences -> Change email

I wanna delete my account.
Write us.

What do mean all those symbols under the minimap?
Lot of cool stuff: “Distance” allows to measure distances; “Edit” allows to draw a path on the map and/or to add some information; “Photos” allows to locate the photos on the map; “UFO” starts an animation where a UFO cameraman flies along the path in 3D mode following an ET hiker (it's funny, I guarantee); “Export” shows the code to export the map in your website.

I don't have a GPS. Can I draw the path directly on the hikr-map?
Yes. Start to write your report. Choose “Middlemap under the report” as Minimap position. Save your report as draft (you can also add the path to an already published report). Go on the report page and use the “edit” button of the map to start drawing the path.

What's the meaning of the star on photo thumbnails?
The photo was added to favorites.

I've added a photo to my favorites, but my name doesn't appear immediately in the list. Is this a bug?
No, your name will appear in two days.

How can I add a photo to my favorites?
Photo page -> “Add to favorites” button

Do you have an advanced search to look for waypoints and reports with different criteria?
Hikr -> Journal -> Explore

Do you have a wiki?
Yes. Essentially, we have four kinds of wiki-pages: waypoints, routes, regions and geotags descriptions.

You can add/edit a wiki page for each waypoint: look for the "Wiki" link on the right side of the waypoint page (like this one, look on the right in the menu)
You can add/edit a wiki page for each geotag, link "Wiki" on the right side, look for example here on the right: Brienzergrat
The description of routes are wiki pages too. Any number of routes can be added to any waypoint, check the button "Add a new route" on the right. Routes are then listed on the top of the point page, look here for an example: www.hikr.org/dir/Eisenerzer_Reichenstein_9104/.
All our wikis are multilingual (i.e. one version per language)

All modifications of wiki pages are listed here. All new routes are listed here and all geo-tags are listed here

Can I introduce a new route or translate the description of a route?
Every user can contribute to the wiki-pages.

How can I associate a route to my report?
Report page -> “Routes” button (right side of the page)

Can I associate a route to the report of some other user?
Yes, if you are an active user.

What's a geo-tag?
Geo-tags are tags that you can add to a waypoint. They specify to which countries/cantons/regions or to which mountain group the waypoint belong.

You can add a geo-tag on the waypoint page, using the button “Add tags” on the right: see for example www.hikr.org/dir/Muttler_3440/.

Each geo-tag has his own page, for example www.hikr.org/dir/tag/muttler_gruppe/

As a bonus, each geo-tag can have a wiki page, follow the link “Wiki” on the right in the geo-tag page.

Kommentare (6)

Kommentar hinzufügen

Philippe Noth Pro hat gesagt: Re: FAQ improvement, looking for translators
Gesendet am 30. September 2010 um 23:07
Ciao Anna,

J'ai vu que la FAQ n'existe pas en français. Tu peux compter sur moi pour la traduction. Il faut juste attendre un peu (3-4 semaines) la fin de mes vacances... car pendant les vacances je ne travaille pas, je vais en montagne :)

Je sauve la page en HTML et je traduis directement ou tu préfères un autre format ?

--
Philippe

Anna hat gesagt: RE:Re: FAQ improvement, looking for translators
Gesendet am 30. September 2010 um 23:17
Salut Philippe,

Merci beaucoup, c'est très sympa de traduire.
Il n'y a pas de problème d'attendre, c'est même mieux. Comme ça j'aurais sûrement suffisamment de temps pour nettoyer le vieux FAQ de toutes les choses obsolètes et introduire les nouvelles choses.

Pour le format, c'est comme tu préfères. Tu peux sauver la page en HTML ou m'écrire une émail et je vais t'envoyer un document Word.

Merci encore et
Bonnes Vacances
Anna

Freeman hat gesagt: Translation English to German
Gesendet am 1. Oktober 2010 um 19:11
Hello Anna

I am going to translate the FAQ (text above) from English to German.

I contact you tomorrow again via direct message.

Best regards

Patrick

Anna hat gesagt: RE:Translation English to German
Gesendet am 1. Oktober 2010 um 19:15
Dankeschön!
LG, Anna

Freeman hat gesagt: Translation English to German
Gesendet am 2. Oktober 2010 um 02:29
Hello Anna

The translation is done.

I send it to you as a email.

Best regards.
Patrick

Anna hat gesagt: UPDATE
Gesendet am 7. Oktober 2010 um 21:49
UPDATE

English and German (thanks Freeman for the help) versions are now online. It's still missing Dante's language (I will probably take care of it) and French (coming later thanks to Philippe Noth).

Maybe now it will be easier to formulate some tips.

Everybody is invited to read the new FAQ, probably there is something you don't know.

Kommentar hinzufügen»