How to create panoramas: the manual

Publiziert von bergpfad73, 17. Juli 2010 um 15:48. Diese Seite wurde 1290 mal angezeigt.

There are mainly two methods for creating panoramas:
- You have a camera which allows to take panoramas. You are the lucky one!
- You take several pictures and assemble these with a software. That's how I do it and what I'll describe below.

What do we need:
- a computer (hehehe, funny isn't it?).
- two or more pictures that have overlapping areas.
- a stitching software.
- a photo editing software.

The computer and its OS:
It doesn't matter what OS you have, as there's software for nearly every OS. I'm used to have MacOS X and Linux, but I know that Windows has also several good tools.

The stitching software:
The one I use is an open source named Hugin. It can be download here: hugin.sourceforge.net/
Hugin is running on MacOS X, Linux and Windows. They also provide very good tutorials (in English, French, German, etc.) to learn how to use it (here: hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/index.shtml). You will probably need these tutorials, because the software isn't that easy to learn.
A lot of other software can do about the same. You can easily find these on Google by searching for the words: stitching software. Give it a try!

The photo editing software:
When your pictures were assembled, you may need a photo editing software to cut the edges and/or to modify the colors (gamma editing).
Here we have several possibilities:
- the Gimp is a good one, but may be a bit difficult to learn (www.gimp.org/).
- Pinta is much easier to use (pinta-project.com/), but it's hard to install it on Windows, because it uses an X11 port.
- So on Windows, you can use the very good freeware named PhotoFiltre (photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm). There's an English version as well.

Kommentare (18)

Kommentar hinzufügen

luke hat gesagt: Grazie
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 22:32
Thank you Bergpfad, very clear and simple manual; better universal English language.
I suggest Makecubic too. (Anna's idea, not mine).
Cari saluti
Luke

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:Grazie
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 23:27
Thanks, Luke.
I never heard about Make Cubic (Mac only), but I'll try it out. And if it's good enough, I'll write something about it.

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:Grazie
Gesendet am 17. September 2010 um 20:22
Hi luke & all,

This software is very old (January 2004) and will no more be executable on the latest OS X (Snow Leopard); it seems to be PPC only (so there's no chance to have it running on Intel procs).

If you're still interested in it, you can find it here:
http://ltc.smm.org/visualize/node/106

Cheers,
Dan

felixbavaria hat gesagt: photo editing
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 22:47
Thanks bergpfad.

Regarding photo editing: the Windows Live Photo Gallery is surprisingly good at enhancing photos ... one of the few pieces of MS software that I usually recommend.

Also you can try the free IrfanView "viewer", which also has basic photo editing capabilities (gamma correction etc.)

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:photo editing
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 23:40
Hi FelixW84,

Thanks for your input regarding softwares running under Windows.
I can't test these at home as I'm using UNIX-like OSes only.

luke hat gesagt: Italiano on
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 22:48
Su Hikr ci sono molte belle immagini di panorami fornite dagli utenti, ma non ho trovato una Comunità che le raggruppasse ed esponesse.
Eccola qui!

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:Italiano on
Gesendet am 24. Juli 2010 um 23:31
Hi, Luke.
Sorry, but I don't understand Italian... or I've to use GoogleTranslate ;)
And UpTheHill was 2 hours faster than you were to send me the Italian translation, so I took his.

denali2002 hat gesagt: Stitching Software
Gesendet am 25. Juli 2010 um 11:09
I use Autopano Pro 2, this tool runs either on Mac and on Windows. And for the editing work I use Photoshop or Capture NX2 if I work with RAW-Pictures (Nikon).

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:Stitching Software
Gesendet am 17. September 2010 um 20:13
Hi denali2002 & all,

This software seems to run on several platforms, but it's not free. Its price is 99 €.

Cheers,
Dan

GWu hat gesagt: Stitching Software - Autostitch
Gesendet am 16. September 2010 um 20:01
I can recommend Autostitch, it does stitching automagically and produces even better results than the tiresome, manual process in Hugin.

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:Stitching Software - Autostitch
Gesendet am 17. September 2010 um 20:07
Hi GWu,
With the latest version of Hugin, it's no more so difficult to make panoramas as they've integrated an automation assistant that gets better and better.
The free demo version of Autostitch seems to be Windows only :(
Cheers,
Dan

lukas hat gesagt:
Gesendet am 17. September 2010 um 12:30
I use Zoner Photo Manager. The software can do Panaromas automagically. The software is free and to download here:
http://free.zoner.com/download-de.asp

The software has some other nice features like editing name or Exif for more files at the same time.

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: RE:
Gesendet am 17. September 2010 um 20:10
Hi lukas & all,

The free version of Zoner Photo Studio is Windows XP/Vista/7 only...

Cheers,
Dan

Rhenus Alpinus hat gesagt: Panoramen
Gesendet am 18. September 2010 um 12:01
Ich erstelle meine Panoramen mit PTgui, welches es für Mac OS und Windows gibt. Kostenlos ist es leider nicht: 79 Euro muss man schon liegen lassen.

bergpfad73 hat gesagt: Autopano Giga
Gesendet am 22. Februar 2011 um 21:09
Hi all,

I've recently tried out Autopano Giga 2.0 (actually version 2.5 is on sale) running it on MacOS X. Linux and Windows versions exist as well.

Plus:
- extremely fast
- assembling 200 images is no more a problem (ok, for this you need a fast computer)... They say it works even with 2000 pix!
- the output has a good quality
- HDR is integrated, so if you've several pix of the same objects, it corrects the colors automatically
- easy to use for basic users

Minus:
- expensive: more than 200 Euro :(
- buggy if your pix are in a folder located on the desktop (on MacOS)
- difficult to set all the needed settings (for advanced users, Hugin is easier to use)

You can find the software here: www.kolor.com/image-stitching-software-autopano-giga.html.

Nyn hat gesagt: New Stitch-Prog
Gesendet am 2. August 2020 um 19:24
I generate my Panos with 'Image Composite Editor' (ICE), which is for windows only, but it is free, offering al lot of options.
I reach good results with it - just have a try!

Link

VG, Nyn

Nyn hat gesagt: RE:New Stitch-Prog
Gesendet am 31. März 2023 um 10:14
Update: Link above broken
BUT
ICE is just available on the site heise.de

Nyn hat gesagt: RE:Link Heise
Gesendet am 31. März 2023 um 14:31
https://www.heise.de/download/product/image-composite-editor-ice-58832

Kommentar hinzufügen»